SYOS

Another Great Musician Passes

Sunray

I bet quite a few of you remember Burt [Who died this morning aged 91] ... :(

Breaking News

RIP all ... :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:

navarro

Hi Greg sad news indeed, the Band put to shame some of the so called rock groups and showed their worth as a backing group. I really liked the "Basement Tapes" I think it was 1967 or 68 playing without the use of all the gadgetry and enhancers the groups have today. Never a great Dylan fan but loved the Band`s beat. regds N.

Kingsleyhk

Let's not forget Bert Weedon. Not a sax player but an inspiration to those Brits - like me - in the fifties who couldn't work out the guitar but found their way to the saxophone.

navarro

Hi Sunray I do indeed remember Bert Weedon. In late 1957 I was posted to Germany with my regiment and within our gang we had a skiffle group and I played the classic tea chest bass (My only venture into the rhythm section)

Our guitarist Dave Henderson asked me if I could get hold of a copy of "Play in a Day." Communications in those days was all through BFPO post and you waited at least a fortnight for mail to get through. Unfortunately I was posted very quickly to Malaya for a tour of duty and never received the said publication.

26 years later I met Dave in Glasgow who was playing with a group called "The Scavengers" and he explained that the book had arrived shortly after my posting and as is the protocol my mail had been forwarded to Malaya. For some reason it was returned to Germany, as I was up country and they did not bother checking. Dave knew the Quartermaster quite well and managed to get hold of the book ( At great risk to himself and the Quartermaster, procuring someone else's mail was a court martial offence.) Dave used it as his benchmark learning tool. R.I.P. Mr. Weedon. Regds N.

PS My one claim to fame with the group was I wrote an arrangement of "God rest Ye Merry Gentleman" by the MJQ. and booed off the stage during it`s playing at a Christmas party and dance, interspersed with chants of "We want Rock Island Line."

Sunray

I served 1964 - 1973 ...

Some great times and quite a few very scary moments in some far flung corners of the world ... :w00t:

Made some fantastic mates who you knew you could really rely on to watch your back ... :mrcool

Like you - I have many great memories ... :thumb:

Cheers mate ...

PS I was born and lived in South London for most of my life - [Moved up to Norfolk 12 years ago].

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom