support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Another Ballad

Hey Chris, you did a decent job with changes. I heard some nice things.
That phrase I gave you would have been tailor made for this ballad. But your ideas' s
sounded creative.

You're gettin' there!

Your playing is coming along. I like the songs you pick too. You've got the tone and the control sussed. You're pitching well too. I think you should work on phrasing and varying the dynamics. Perhaps a little bending to give it more expression. Perhaps a litlle vibrato on the long notes. You sound to me like you're holding back.

When I heasr an instrumental version of a standard I can hear the key phrases , especially the title and it's these you need to almost sing through the sax on the head.

When working up a new song on the alto, I like to listen to Ella Fitzgerald to hear how it goes. She always seems so precise with the phrasing and pitch. Then a version by Sarah Vaughan for a looser feel and a little more soul. When I think I've got it, a version by Nina Simone let's you know how far you have to go.

Keep up the good work.

Colin, haha don't let my tutor read your post. He'll never stop telling me to re read it over and over..It's probably taken me this long to get out of the bad habits I picked up while playing the guitar. Now seems to be the time to concentrate on the more subtle things about playing the sax..Thanks for listening and for commenting

Chris..

Hi Chris,

Really good version of a lovely tune. You really are improving in leaps and bounds.

You are right in what you say about vocalists and I think you need look no further than Sinatra in terms of phrasing, dynamics and articulation.

Have a look at this version of a relatively simple Russ Colombo tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFsnhFoZROY

Might make an interesting BOTM!!

Albert

Back
Top Bottom