All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

animated finger chart for alto

paul2610

A culmination of a spare two days and an idea ended up with me making this experimental finger chart in flash. Its not perfect, for a start my sax reallllly needs regulating and the recording set up was little more then stone age but please have a look at it and tell me what you think.

your need the latest adobe reader to see it which can be downloaded here - http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

http://blog.mtn-m.co.uk/__oneclick_uploads/2010/11/saxophone-finger-chart.swf - once open, right click and press play.

Paul

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I like it!. You are right about the recoding - not at all pleasant on the ears yet.

If I might suggest that the 3 seconds of notes were just a little shorter too?

It took me a while to work out my confusion about the top line of notes, then I realised there are 6 lines in your stave on the top line, so the lower ledger line (for middle C) seems to be a permanent line all the way across.
Also, the B to me sounds the same as the C#/Dflat, maybe just an incorrect link to the recorded file?

But I can see this would be most useful.

Sunray

Nor Me on PC ...

I guess you are currently working on it ...

So I will try later ...

Cheers :cheers:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Great idea, really nice! (I did something similar but less flashy with my altissimo chart.

Unfortunately cant get it to work on my Mac with Adobe Reader. Shame seems a good idea.
Regards

Could be (I think Adobe Reader) needs a Safari plugin.I installed Adobe Reader and it asked if I wanted to update Safari or something.

Sunray

Great idea, really nice! (I did something similar but less flashy with my altissimo chart.

Could be (I think Adobe Reader) needs a Safari plugin.I installed Adobe Reader and it asked if I wanted to update Safari or something.

I just updated Adobe Reader prior to posting my last ... It never mentioned going on Safari ...

Although I wouldn't mind a good adventure in the sunshine somewhere ... Brrr ... ;}

JasonC

The file is actually a Flash 10 file so it should just play in your browser window. Click on the link and then right click on the image and click on Play from the little pop up menu that appears, it works for me without the need for Adobe Reader. I've tried it in Google Chrome and IE 8.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
The file is actually a Flash 10 file so it should just play in your browser window. Click on the link and then right click on the image and click on Play from the little pop up menu that appears, it works for me without the need for Adobe Reader. I've tried it in Google Chrome and IE 8.

True. I have uninstalled Adobe Reader and it still plays.

My advice would be to make this autoplay if possible.

And yes, the sound needs some work! But a nice idea.

paul2610

If I might suggest that the 3 seconds of notes were just a little shorter too?

It took me a while to work out my confusion about the top line of notes, then I realised there are 6 lines in your stave on the top line, so the lower ledger line (for middle C) seems to be a permanent line all the way across.
Also, the B to me sounds the same as the C#/Dflat, maybe just an incorrect link to the recorded file?

But I can see this would be most useful.

Ok made a few alterations - your right about the B and c# - I was recording this in funny positionand I remember mucking these two up - will solve that later along with the durations. my initial plan for the sounds was to make it only 2 seconds long with a 4 to 5 second pause, having it set to loop and activate on "hover-over" so that technically the hands would be free to play but due to the buttons being close together it was too easy to activate more then one at a time, hence the present situation.

had a pre-loader in with the main bit which seems to have been the problem with it not starting automatically and have deleted that and placed a skip button for frequent visitors to it - I'm not perfect with the coding side.

Cheers for the comments, might get round to re-making the sound bits once my sax has been serviced but this won't be before xmas unless of course some kind soul has a batch sitting around and would like to donate for the cause.

Paul

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Great idea. Work for me at home on XP.

Sound quality is not too ggod as you say.

The black marks over the keys on the sax don't work too well for me - they disappear into the dark background. Would be better brighter/different colour.

Agree on the notes lasting a bit long. Would also be good if you can click on another note while one is playing. And click off any note to stop one playing.

Good work!

paul2610

The black marks over the keys on the sax don't work too well for me - they disappear into the dark background. Would be better brighter/different colour.

Agree on the notes lasting a bit long. Would also be good if you can click on another note while one is playing. And click off any note to stop one playing.

Good work!

This would mean getting into using an external AS file (I think, would,nt know how to do it on the main timeline?), not something I am particualy good at - easy enough copying and pasting each command for hover over and click but I think for now it will be easier/quicker to just reduce the sound to one second - just long enough to realise is not nice but not long enough to annoy (hopfully).

As for the colours, I did try different one's such as white, orange etc but the dark seemed to show up the best to me - will try to fade the sax slightly and/or make the marks bigger.

Will try to sort out the above next week, too busy for now.

cheers

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Great idea and it's working for me now (it didn't previously).

But something nasty seems to have happened to the sounds - the quality is horrible !

Rhys

paul2610

But something nasty seems to have happened to the sounds - the quality is horrible !

Rhys

Don't worry - its not an invasion by aliens, its unfortunatly just me and a combination of a very basic recording situation and only 3 months playing causing something I'd probably describe as "different" but in reality it is horrible. something only time may remedy!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Don't worry - its not an invasion by aliens, its unfortunatly just me and a combination of a very basic recording situation and only 3 months playing causing something I'd probably describe as "different" but in reality it is horrible. something only time may remedy!

Maybe someone with better kit can record the notes for you and email them.

saxyman

Working ok on my new Macbook Pro using Firefox.
Constructive comments: Agree sound needs improving, Think it would be better/more clearer if in Black & White or using less confusing colours. Very good programme, congrats on compiling it.

Top Bottom