Andy Snitzer Interview

Pete Effamy

I first got to know of Andy Snitzer through a mate of mine who had been lucky enough to emigrate to LA, and then to Hawai'i as a working sax player. He still lives in Hawaii - apparently it's hard to leave - no?!!! Anyway, during his stint in LA he saw many of the big names play live and was part of a very informed community with regard to who were the new kids on the block. I knew of Snitzer since the late '90's. Another Pop/smooth player but one with so much more under the bonnet.

I came across this interview today, and I was just amazed (again) by the amount of work/practice that these guys put in. We all know it, but I guess I'm still surprised that there aren't any exceptions. These guys really are that good merely through having a great philosophy of what and how to practice, and then just getting on with it being their entire focus in life.

We often talk of 'talent'. Whatever that is in music. In sports it's easier to define. A friend of mine was a county champion swimmer at 16, but his coach then told him to give up as he was only 5'10" and bigger guys would be displacing x amount of water per stroke than him so he had no chance. Anyway, my intent wasn't to open a discussion on this, but to just enjoy the interview...

Andy-Snitzer-interview.jpg

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

While I'm on this quest... here's a transcription of Andy playing New York State Of Mind with Billy Joel back in 2013 or 14. I toured with a band doing a celebration of Joel's music in 2014. We had a choice of whether to adhere to either an agreed live or album original, and sometime a combination. I'm not a massive fan of the studio solo for this track - I think his rockier solos were more within his comfort zone - so this solo was a real gift. I can't remember now, but there's a chance that this is a combo of a few solos on that tour by Snitzer - they were all fan videos taken by phone and terrible quality. Anyway. I love it, and enjoyed learning it and playing it every night.

NYSoM 1.png

NYSoM 2.png

IGoddard

While I'm on this quest... here's a transcription of Andy playing New York State Of Mind with Billy Joel back in 2013 or 14. I toured with a band doing a celebration of Joel's music in 2014. We had a choice of whether to adhere to either an agreed live or album original, and sometime a combination. I'm not a massive fan of the studio solo for this track - I think his rockier solos were more within his comfort zone - so this solo was a real gift. I can't remember now, but there's a chance that this is a combo of a few solos on that tour by Snitzer - they were all fan videos taken by phone and terrible quality. Anyway. I love it, and enjoyed learning it and playing it every night.

View attachment 13367

View attachment 13368
That’s a fantastic solo, even by the songs standards. All credit to Billy Joel, he’s had some fantastic sax players in his day and gives them plenty of time in his tracks.

Top Bottom