Android Tablet or I. Pad type device

• Thread starter Deleted member 5000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5000

Price of Item
£200
Its time for me to move out of the dark ages and in to the modern world.

Im fed up being on gigs and everyone else is using devices which show the chord charts.
The singer calls tunes in stupid keys, and im the only one floundering around, trying to get through complicated stuff by ear, and they all sit there smiling, calmly reading the chords.
Smug rhythm sections drive me crazy.

Guess how my gig went yesterday. ;)

So, Im looking for a device that will let me download “ I REAL PRO”
This is the app that gives hundreds of chord charts and allows the user to change the key at the push of a button.

Thats all I need it to do. I dont need a belts and braces device.

My daughter got all excited this morning and started telling me about this I pad for £700, or this other one for £600. Etc etc

I dont need or want to spend that.

So, does anyone have anything suitable?

Thanks

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
If you don't want to spend much money, then an Android tablet is the one to get. Samsung and LG are both fine.

SaxoFREAK

saX on the bEaCH..
Subscriber
A Samsung Tab 3/4 would suit you fine, in 7 & 10in, you can pick them up for under a ton and they are tough as nails or go for an iPad mini or a 2 or 3, not so tough but very versatile, we have all of of them in our household and everyone is happy..

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Just a thought (not knowing much at all about I REAL PRO). From what I read, you get a basic library of songs when you download I REAL PRO. You can download many more from the I REAL PRO user forum. Bands/instrumentalists can also add their own songs and share them outside of this forum using something like Dropbox.

It might be worth checking with the rhythm section where they get their songs/chords from and how. Do they just play songs from the standard I PRO REAL libraries (basic + user forums) that you can download in advance from home? Or do they have their own 'extended library' on something like Dropbox that you too can download in advance from home? Or are you going to find out the set list (including recent updates to any extended library) an hour before the gig and have to download (some) songs to your tablet then?

The only reason to ask these questions is that - if you need to download songs 'on the fly' - to check that you can either a) use WiFi to download songs, and if not, b) you can 'tether ' your tablet to your mobile phone for downloads.

In principle, everything should work fine. But every so often it's possible that older (cheaper) tablets don't work so well together with newer phones. Just to be 100% sure, ask.

Mike

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I have an 82 Lenovo and I've been disappointed with it this last year.......It was fine for a couple of years though :)

I can use it with wifi or 4g

Jx

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Nothing against Lenovo - they often offer good value for money. My impression over the years is that Lenovo (a Chinese brand) is targeted at the 'budget' (price/quality cutting) market. Again, no criticism of this. But Lenovo's components (screens/keyboards) tend to be older, less robust and less comfortable than the 'mid-market' brands. That's why they're cheaper. For Tablets, I would tend to go with either Apple (IPad) or Samsung (Android) although I don't know what other brands offer.. FWIW, I've given (as a volunteer) courses on 'Using Tablets' to elderly people who had both IPads and Android tablets. I have no idea why but internet connectivity was never a problem with IPads. It often was with Samsung tablets. It's possible that the Samsung tablets were older but the difference in IPad/Samsung connectivity was noticeable.

jazzdoh

Brian i don't know what type of phone you have but some of the bigger phones are good for the this purpose.
i use an iPad mini at home but on gigs i use my Samsung S7 phone for chord charts.

saxyjt

I wish the e-Ink devices took off and became affordable. That's where I think the best technical solution is for music scores and related band stand tools. But I'm afraid the market is not big enough to attract the cost cutting experts, yet!

llamedos

For some reason I have a pre-owned iPad and a Kindle Fire (android) and whilst I never seem to suffer connectivity problems with the iPad, the Kindle is a fairly constant source of frustration. It persistently tells me that I am not connected to the Internet when I know that I am and the only course of action seems to be to reset the wireless mode. Not a huge problem but an annoyance I could do without.
Another point worthy of mention is that the Kindle takes about four hours to recharge and lasts me not much more than a day whilst the iPad takes about ten hours but lasts probably four days between charges. I realise that I am probably not what could be considered a heavy user but I do like things to work when I need them to and not have them develop a mind of their own.
I guess you pays your money and takes your chances - I am just expressing my opinion for what it's worth!

Dave

David Roach

Nothing against Lenovo - they often offer good value for money. My impression over the years is that Lenovo (a Chinese brand) is targeted at the 'budget' (price/quality cutting) market. Again, no criticism of this. But Lenovo's components (screens/keyboards) tend to be older, less robust and less comfortable than the 'mid-market' brands. That's why they're cheaper. For Tablets, I would tend to go with either Apple (IPad) or Samsung (Android) although I don't know what other brands offer.. FWIW, I've given (as a volunteer) courses on 'Using Tablets' to elderly people who had both IPads and Android tablets. I have no idea why but internet connectivity was never a problem with IPads. It often was with Samsung tablets. It's possible that the Samsung tablets were older but the difference in IPad/Samsung connectivity was noticeable.
This depends entirely upon what Lenovo you get. In terms of laptops, Thinkpads are still good quality and are ostensibly produced for the professional market and I would not call them 'budget'. Ideapads however are not as good and are produced for the 'home' market. I have quite a few clients with Thinkpads that are lasting really well.

In terms of Tablets, I have a Lenovo Tab 4 10" which I bought in January this year. I have toured with it and it is standing up very well so far. I have recorded meetings and it did a good job. If what you want to do is read pdfs and use iReal pro it is entirely up to the job. Cheaper than an iPad, yes. Less capable or well made? No, it's fine. In terms of handheld devices, IMO Apple gear is over priced.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but this is my actual experience and I feel that I should provide a counter-weight to @MikeMorrell 's experience.

David Roach

A friend of mine was recently still using a Samsung tablet made in 2012 and had some connectivity problems that were entirely to do with compatibility due to it's age. No company wants us to use a tablet for more than about 3 years so they become obselete.
I also have a 2012 Samsung that still works as a Kindle reader and Sudoku player!

David Roach

I agree. But they work.
Indeed. I do like Apple devices. Although I mainly use PC desktops I have an Air Mac which I like a lot.
It all depends upon how much you want to spend. I agree that an iPad might well be made with better quality components, but I can't prove that, since pretty much all devices are made in China in the same general area of the country. However, an iPad will be obsolete in the same space of time that most Android tablets will i.e. 3-5 years, so for someone on a budget, the Android is a good and reliable option. Just make sure when buying an Android tab that you get one with the most recent version you can. We are currently at supported version 8 or 'Oreo' as it is called. Many cheaper tablets are sold with Marshmallow (v.6) or even Lollipop (v.5) which is now unsupported.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Good counter-weight, @David Roach and worth making. No argument from me..

When buying any 'tech', I try to read up on reviews, compare specs and prices and try a couple of brands/models out in a store. My impression (no more than that) was just based on specs/reviews/prices of consumer Laptops (including Lenovo) a couple of years ago. I have no clue about Lenovo tablets or about their current Laptop/Desktop range.

I agree that what anyone chooses depends mostly on what they need it for (there's a difference between general use or 'gaming'/streaming HD-movies;)). There's also the 'look and feel' versus price and your budget. Lenovo is a reputable, long-standing brand and one I'd always consider. I didn't mean to imply that I thought Lenovo products were inferior in any way. I'd be happy to buy Lenovo products too that had the right specs, reasonable good reviews and that I felt comfortable using.

This depends entirely upon what Lenovo you get. In terms of laptops, Thinkpads are still good quality and are ostensibly produced for the professional market and I would not call them 'budget'. Ideapads however are not as good and are produced for the 'home' market. I have quite a few clients with Thinkpads that are lasting really well.

In terms of Tablets, I have a Lenovo Tab 4 10" which I bought in January this year. I have toured with it and it is standing up very well so far. I have recorded meetings and it did a good job. If what you want to do is read pdfs and use iReal pro it is entirely up to the job. Cheaper than an iPad, yes. Less capable or well made? No, it's fine. In terms of handheld devices, IMO Apple gear is over priced.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but this is my actual experience and I feel that I should provide a counter-weight to @MikeMorrell 's experience.

Top Bottom