All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Android Phones...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
My phone’s croaked and I’m feeling like acquiring a new piece of gadgetry to play with. Can anyone recommend a decent Android based phone &, linked to that, any tips for handy apps for music work (or anything otherwise genuinely useful for that matter). I suppose mic quality is going to be an issue between different models/ brands..(?)

Taz

Busking Oracle
Jules I'm very new to the world of smart phones, but I've just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I'm very happy with it so far.
I haven't really looked into apps yet, but I did find the usual tuners, synths and harmony type things. I need to play with it more, but in my opinion it's a great phone. Oh and its bloomin fast with a great screen too. I had a touch screen Samsung before and although I never used a case and kept it in my pocket with keys and change, the screen never got marked!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The kids are really happy with their Samsungs, but neither of them is Android. My wife and I are still using N o k i a s, but we're so tired of the updates that stuff things up that we won't be buying N o k i a again. Android/Samsung would be my starting point to check out.

llamedos

Don't know if it will be any help as I have no direct experience but one of my sons is on his third Samsung Galaxy and also has a couple of other Android gadgets. If he wants to play music to listen to meaningfully he seems to have to use plug-in portable speakers and he tells me that by and large you get what you pay for. He has a thing called an Archos with something in excess of 8000 tracks so he seems to take it quite seriously. Apparently the built-in speakers are minute (unsurprisingly) and don't, therefore, have a great deal of welly.

Dave.

trimmy

One day i will...
I have the htc sensation and im very happy with it, i changed from iphone to htc about 3months ago and im still finding out what it can do .

Good bit of kit :) oh and you will never have to buy another song again, its all free :)

Dave McLaughlin

Sesquipedalian
Subscriber
I have a Samsung Galaxy S that was state of the art about a year ago. Very impressive in almost everything except GPS and battery life. Music-wise, I have:

iImprov Chord/Scale Compendium: recommends scales to play over a given chord;
Chordbot: allows you to input chords and it'll generate a backing track; haven't used it much since I got
iReal b: allows you to input chords and it'll generate a backing track, with an enormous repertoire of (mostly jazz) tunes;
Musical Lite: various widgets, but I only use the metronome;
Interval Recognition: plays an interval, and you get to identify it;
gStrings: tuner.

If you want to hear any of these while playing a sax, earphones or external speakers are pretty much obligatory.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Any experience with the galaxy ace? I need a mobile phone too but I am stuck with a provider i do not like. I don't want to give them more money than I already do.

breathless

Jules, I've been using BlackBerry since the wheel was invented and love them, also have the PlayBook (which is there tablet). However I've had iphones for work and just didn't like them.
I know several people that have the galaxy and nexus phones and they really are top notch devices!

So much so that I'll be taking a closer look at them when my contract expires.

The beauty of Android devices is that it's open source which means every ones writing software for them, never before has a device been so well supported.

Of course they have there short falls (but so do all handsets) , I think the biggest gripe is battery life, but that will get better as new generations emerge.

Take a look for android forums and see what people think, I tend to buy a mobile device magazine for a few months leading up to making my mind up, that way you get an idea what's hot and what's not!

Rgds Lee.

AlbionLass

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S2 since last September and I love it. Had an iPhone previously and Windows phones before that and I'm a total Android convert. My son has an LG Optimus 2x P990 which is also a really good, well specced, reasonably priced Android handset.

Tjaart

md90065
I have a HTC Incredible S and it's ok, my daughter has a Galaxy S2 and that's better. As far as apps go I use the following:
DaTuner Pro (purchased) - Tuner (can transpose to your instrument)
Metronome Beats - best metronome I could find
Chordbot (purchased version) - cool app for creating chords progressions, the purchased version gives you many more options.
AudioSpectrumMonitor - Shows the harmonics and frequency of you tone, cool to fine tune your sound
MusicTutor - to improve sight reading
My Piano Assistant - for chords and scales
Pitch perfect - pitch pipe
or you can get Music companion which includes a metronome, tuner and composer (to record ideas)

Cheers.

JasonC

I've had an HTC Desire for the last 2 years and it was great, I've now just upgraded to an HTC One X which is pretty much the best you can get at the moment along with the Samsung Galaxy S3 that was just just released yesterday. Slightly lower spec models are the HTC One S and Sony Xperia S, both of these are very capable handsets and will have better battery lives than the higher end models due to slower processors, although they are fast enough for most people.

Mic quality is not great on any phone IMO but, from past experience Sony are usually slightly better in this area. I myself wouldn't use my phone for recording anything musical unless I had no other option.

Battery life is pretty much the same on all smart phones, you will get 1 day at the most with normal use but, turning off push notifications etc will make it last longer. I could get 2 days out of my Desire but at the moment I'm lucky to get 20 hours with minimal use out of my One X. As a rule of thumb, the lower the spec phone, the longer the battery will last, mainly because the higher end phones have much larger screens and faster processors to power.

There are plenty of music apps available, some of the best ones have already been mentioned above :)

HTC One Series
Samsung Galaxy S3
Sony Xperia

Taz

Busking Oracle
Ok, I've been playing with my new Galaxy S2 for a week now and found both good and bad points. The good points are speed. This thing is faster than my laptop which I can't remember the spec, but it's reasonably quick. The graphics are just amazing, the color is absolutely stunning with no flicker and no stutter in video playback. Download speed on WiFi is superb but noticeably slower on 3G. All the controls and settings are easy to find use (even for the uninitiated like me) Apps are readily available by the bucket load and billions of them are free (I've told myself a million time to stop exaggerating :w00t:) The screen is nice and big so even scrolling through forums isn't a painful experience.
The bad point and yes I mean that in the singular is the battery life. It's quite poor, but will improve with age. Strange statement I hear you say? Apparently this is quite common with new phones. I can't leave it alone 'cos it's new. Once I've discovered what everything does, I'll play with it less and start using it properly therefore using a lot less battery!
All in all, I'm very, very pleased with it.

Tjaart

md90065
Dave, I went and checked out iReal B, it is $10, or rather is it worth $10?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S that was state of the art about a year ago. Very impressive in almost everything except GPS and battery life. Music-wise, I have:

iImprov Chord/Scale Compendium: recommends scales to play over a given chord;
Chordbot: allows you to input chords and it'll generate a backing track; haven't used it much since I got
iReal b: allows you to input chords and it'll generate a backing track, with an enormous repertoire of (mostly jazz) tunes;
Musical Lite: various widgets, but I only use the metronome;
Interval Recognition: plays an interval, and you get to identify it;
gStrings: tuner.

If you want to hear any of these while playing a sax, earphones or external speakers are pretty much obligatory.

saxplorer

Dave, I went and checked out iReal B, it is $10, or rather is it worth $10?
In my opinion, cheap at twice the price, IF you are someone who practices Jazz standards.

You CAN enter your own chord progressions, but there are dozens and dozens of tunes available ready-cooked from "A Felicidade" to "Zoltan" (and that's leaving out the ones starting with a number!). Think "Real Book" and you have an idea of the kind of stuff available.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
from "A Felicidade" to "Zoltan"
So "A Felicidade" goes under "A".

I have to move my Weather Report albums under "T", as in "The weather report". Together with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones....

I am kind of joking.

But does anyone know something about low end android phones?

Tjaart

md90065
Sorry saxplorer, I didn't look at the poster name, thank you. I must say it is a brilliant app (much better than chordbot), played some tunes last night with it.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom