All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

And so, eight years on, as the year turns...

Moz

I reckon it is now eight years since I started to play sax, inspired by the professional musicians at the Bude Jazz Festival - which has shrunk to a fraction of it's former glory I'm afraid. I have moved from the original, very dodgy ebay tenor made by Stagg and subsequently butchered by some idiot, through a Yamaha alto and back to a Yanagisawa tenor which I still have. I have had seven years of music lessons but only achieved anything up to five thereby wasting the last two chasing a dream of sight-reading grade 8 (yeah, right). I have written a quartet, played in a band, had my own music played on the radio and ****ed off my dog so many times I can't count them all. I have owned a Yani soprano which the dog hated, my wife hated, my neighbours hated and I hated, I have tried a baritone sax and loved it but it was just too big. I have played jazz, blues, rock, classical, ska and punk, only a couple of them successfully.

It has been a relatively short, but very busy sax career but I have loved it all. My regret is that I didn't have the enthusiasm for music when I was much younger, I might have been half-good by now.

So, as I head inexorably into 2013 with no band, no more ideas and with a lamentably poor piano technique I wish you all a Happy New Year and I look forward to my 59th year on this Earth hopefully still playing the sax and hope you too will carry onwards and upwards with your own sax journey.

Happy New Year

Martin

Littlewailer

Good on Ya Mate.

I know what you mean about wishing you had the same drive as when you started.

Playing horn for me has always had it's ups and downs. But in the end it IS my day job. So there's lines between my Music, My Sax and my income that have to be drawn and sometimes it means not practicing but just "playing" instead.

Take care and best to you in the new year.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Good to reflect. You've come a long way in those 8 years. Finding inspiration again can be difficult, I found it with photography. But, new projects, new friends should re-inspire you.

BUMNOTE

[QUOTEMoz;97225]

My regret is that I didn't have the enthusiasm for music when I was much younger.

Hi Moz,seems like we may have started round about same time,i have taken grades 3-4and am about to do jazz grades in new year,but have never played in a band or anything like that.But wether i get any better or not i shall keep on going as its something i enjoy,some days good,some bad...reminds me a bit in my early days starting Martial Arts,some things came easy others took a while to sink in,that was over 30yrs ago and i am still training!!You will carry on playing and get more ideas as you go along,with your sax journey,Happy New Year.Bumnote.

Young Col

Rather like Bumnote I read Moz' post as regretting not having the drive earlier in life and now still looking for new directions. That's certainly where I am. I really regret having gone some 30 years without picking up an instrument seriously, but there just didn't seem to be the time then. It's now given me a completely new life direction. New friends (not least on here) and things - like music exams, playing in public - that I never contemplated.
Onwards and upwards into 2013 indeed!

Rock Lobster

How true Moz. I switched the time of my lesson for a week earlier this month and as I was leaving a kid came in with his mother, he was about 3 foot tall and pulled a sax out of his bag. You wish you could tell them to keep at it but who listen's to old guy's? one of life's irony's I suppose.

4 years for me early next year, still not as good as I think I should be but I just keep on trying...................If only I started ealier!

trimmy

One day i will...
Happy New Year Moz and to all cafe members

It seems that the majority have a regret about not learning earlier (me too) but on the plus side, we can only get better :D can't we ?

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hey Moz, I too have been playing eight years now and like most of the others, I too wish that I'd started earlier in my life. I do wonder though, if I had started earlier, would I have had the same fun and motivation as I've had or would I have quit as I sadly did with so many things?
I would like to wish everyone a very happy new year and I hope you all achieve any goals that you set for 2013.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
A different view: I started early, came from a musical family and learned to play most of the woodwinds. I wasn't a great player as a kid, but learned the rudiments. As a young adult I ventured into being a pro as a singer, made a living, but saw what the lifestyle was (mine and other musos) and didn't like what it was about even if it would end up in success, so went back to University. At 40+ I picked back up the sax for my own amusement. I didn’t push much or progress for the first 10 years, but was just happy to play occasionally with others (in my limited fashion).

In the last ten years I've progressed and am getting better all the time and been fortunate enough to have pros call me to play with them. At 67 I play better than ever, enjoy it immensely, don't need to entertain ideas of being a top pro, or think I'm wasting time or should have done anything differently.

Hopefully Mos and others who wish they had started earlier will relax and realize that it only ends when it ends. At 67 (and getting better all the time) I don't feel that anything is too late. Yes, I'm eventually going to be cut off by either a physical or mental limitations, but until then this is who I am and what I do. Wishing the past was different is a waste of time. Making the present and future what you want is where it's at.

BigMartin

Hopefully Mos and others who wish they had started earlier will relax and realize that it only ends when it ends. At 67 (and getting better all the time) I don't feel that anything is too late. Yes, I'm eventually going to be cut off by either a physical or mental limitations, but until then this is who I am and what I do. Wishing the past was different is a waste of time. Making the present and future what you want is where it's at.
Agreed. But I don't think regrets about the past are completely inappropriate. If you use them in a positive way, they serve as a reminder not to waste more time, but to make the most of the opportunities that you have now. Works for me, anyway.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If I'd learnt sax earlier, I'd have missed out on many of the other great things I've done in the past... Piano lessons as a kid put me right off learning an instrument, despite messing with tin whistles, hasmonicas and strumming a few chords on a guitar. Good to have something to learn and provide new challenges as you get older is my take. I've still got one major challenge on my wish list - scuba diving, but there's plenty of time...

Lelly

Scarily Tall!!!!
Like Wade, i started music very early (think i was about 4) and although I now have loads of good experience I did hit the brick wall at about 22 when i couldn't pick any instrument up.

But came to the sax abut a year ago and I am having a great time!

I don't honestly think it matters as long as you enjoy what you do. Life is too short to say "if only......."

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
I agree Lelly.

I started playing guitar very early (first one bought for me for Christmas 1963). No lessons just enthusiasm.
Hit the wall at about 21 years old and swapped a guitar for a Grafton. No lessons just enthusiasm.
Got married had two kids (no lessons.....).
I keep reaching the reasonable level with everything but can't find enough time to push my music further.
I'm never going to be a wonderful musician but I love playing my guitars, banjo and sax.

We all hit that wall Martin and I feel for your despondency. Frighten the dog and upset the neighbours. Somebody may be walking by and be needing a sax player/ dog scarer.
Happy New Year old chum.

PS Played the tenor to my daughter's partner's Jack Russell over the hols. He loves it (except bottom Bb and he ran away and hid in the bathroom)

Strobe

Thanks for the post, MartinMoz. So many of us can respond to your sincerity, and each of us has a unique take on what you express. I play the saxophone because it helps me to live. It sounds to me like you need some support - people to play with. If I were in Cornwall, I'd play with you!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I think it's just over 5 for me now and like you Moz it does bring regrets of not starting sooner but it's bound to when you enjoy it so much and like Wade-said you can't change the past and I know one thing is absolutely certain for me anyway and that is that I will always be glad I eventually got round to doing something I had wanted to do for a long time and I know that I enter the new year looking forward to everything that my lovely saxes are going to give me this year for I am certain I will get even more enjoyment than last year as I see my my playing improve,and I have decided to try to encourage the younger members of my family to take up the sax or any musical instrument for that matter because my own dabbling with the sax has shown me how much music in all it's forms has to offer everybody and it only gets better if you can make a bit of it yourself .....Happy New Year Everybody......John

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom