All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

And one day, I'm going to learn how to play the saxophone.

ScottArmstrong

Howdy. I'm new to this forum and I'm learning to play a tenor sax. The story behind why is in the love letter (below) I wrote as a journal assignment several years ago (as a graduating senior, taking English 105, long story).I'm retired from the Air Force (German linguist and Russian interpreter) and now I'm halfway through a second career as a CIO. I played piano and clarinet as a kid (Mom taught me) but I haven't played either since high school. I've inherited my aunt's Horace Waters upright grand (needs a lot of cosmetic work but sounds great) and her Knabe square grand. I miss playing music, and I've had the sound of the sax in my mind for years, so I've decided that now is the time I learn.I've enjoyed the posts in this forum, and Pete's information pages were very helpful in understanding the workings of the Sax (and what I'm doing wrong...and right).Greetings,Scott----- The Love Letter -----Scott R. ArmstrongEnglish 105Journal Assignment 1 I was certain that I would meet "the right one" some day, but I was approaching the age of 30 and still hadn't found her. I thought I had found love a few times, but it was usually a one-way street. I did meet some nice people, but I still preferred life alone to turning a nice friendship into a life together--something just wasn't right. Then, as if by design (but I'm sure it was completely by accident), I met Melanie during a tour in Germany. We became close friends, and made many travel plans together. We seemed to be made for each other, but I just didn't think that I should commit to a life-long relationship. Her enlistment was almost over, so I thought I would just wait until her time in the Air Force ended. After that, she would probably return home, and our relationship would quietly and painlessly fade away. Her enlistment did end, and she did return to her parents in Illinois to look for a job. But I was in pain, and I didn't know why--or so I thought then. One night, after a couple of months without her, I sat in my room, staring out of the window into the cool foggy Berlin night. Never before, and never since, did I hear a saxophone play in those barracks, but that night, muted by the misty fog, a saxophone cried its lonely tune. That night, when I remembered her smile, when I longed for her kindness, when I thought of how she inconvenienced her own modest comfort to make others happy, when I remembered how others were pacified by her presence, when I read the beauty she composed in her letters, when I replayed the sweet sounds of her voice in my lonely mind, when I felt the warm rush of friendship while reading her cards, when my toes tingled just by looking at her photograph on my desk, when I thought of how happy we both were together, and when I realized just how utterly miserable I felt without her, I knew then that I had found, and so stupidly lost, "the right one." I called her from Berlin and she said yes. I'll never forget the time I spent without her, thinking that I had lost her forever. I'll never forget why I feel the way I do. And one day, I'm going to learn how to play the saxophone.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Have fun!

Bice story, I'd like to think there was some truth in it!

ScottArmstrong

She said yes over 23 years ago and it has been wonderful. Thankfully she tolerates my newfound obsession with the tenor sax!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff© Scott.

I guess we all have the same aim.

ENJOY!​™

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Thank you for the beautiful story and welcome to the cafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
A lovely and very atmospheric story, I could picture it in my mind quite clearly. Welcome to the cafe.

selkie

Wonderful story. I'm lucky in that my hubby has no idea of what and how many instruments I have!Welcome from me.

navarro

Hi Scott and welcome should CIO not read CIA with your qualifications >:) Great story and I write as a reporter without portfolio for the N.E (Overseas division.) Is this some form of subtle infiltration by the aforesaid organization and if so I recommend Old Git as your first extradition victim.

Now I have to hold my hands up, if this sad tale, is indeed,with it`s rather cleverly worded (Credits to `Love Story`The Spy who came in from the Cold` and a saxophone choir subtlley blowing The `Harry Lime Theme.`) a true reflection on your life I suggest you immediately take a trip back to HQ Langley (Nudge,nudge, wink,wink, ) and purchase from The Potomac Music Store an Ex CIA Big Band refurbished tenor.) Just past the `Bubble` This will dispense your Polo, Illinois blues and put you back into `mint` condition. You are really going to have fun here. Best Regards, forget all those other guys, Le Carre rules. N.

Marcello

Beautiful story....!!!
Hope have lots of fun while playing...!!!

Cheers from Thailand / Brazil!

ScottArmstrong

Thanks, Jeanette. :)

Never tell him, Selkie!

...and Navarro, I did serve during the Cold War and was in Berlin when the Wall fell, but I've never been part of the CIA (I think that's a good thing--don't know, though). That's about all I can tell you about my military career, or I'd have to..., well, force you to listen to my novice squeaking and squawking sounds!

navarro

Thanks, Jeanette. :)

Never tell him, Selkie!

...and Navarro, I did serve during the Cold War and was in Berlin when the Wall fell, but I've never been part of the CIA (I think that's a good thing--don't know, though). That's about all I can tell you about my military career, or I'd have to..., well, force you to listen to my novice squeaking and squawking sounds!
Nice one Scott keep it under wraps. Regds. Your secret is my secret. N,>:)

Corona4007

Hi Scott and welcome to the cafe, I have only been playing for a year and it's done the world of good to my relationship......all the best;}

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom