All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

and now for something completely different!

Jack

the following is shameless advertizing that I feel is deserved.
I have just purchased an alto, tenor, and bari from Paulo Tung @ Just Saxes.

You should hear the sound samples, but they don't do the horns justice, for they are even better than the examples listed: http://justsaxes.com/cgi/newSaxophones-crescent-sound-samples.php

There may be a better sax for the money, but I have yet to find one.

I would post more, better pics but Paulo has not yet put them on his site.

This is a quote from Paulo from an email conversation we had:

"I would actually buy a Crescent, if I needed a horn, and if I didn’t know my holy grail is a really good Selmer SBA tenor (just haven’t been able to get an owner of one I like to part with one I have liked, yet…YET), but of course a Crescent doesn’t cost $8000. They have a nice depth and vintage-like character that modern horns generally don’t have. The one thing I want to do in the future is find some more neck designs that work well with them, to offer a broader spectrum of color/core/response. I think I have figured out one thing about the necks that may lead to some more variety, something like the variety between the Selmer Ref 54 and the Ref 36."

"As far as durability, the sop, alto and tenor are as durable – or more durable, because the keymetal is thicker, and certainly not softer – than Yanagisawa. The bari is a bit more subject to going out of adjustment, but this is true of pretty much all baris except for Rampone, and the Crescent bari is tighter to begin with than Rampone. How do I know? I have worked on new Rampones, setting them up; the Crescent is a better bari, but it’s not as durable as the alto, tenor and sop in terms of maintaining adjustment. Again, that goes for pretty much all baris, though, when also compared to the Crescent altos, sops & tenors."

All this for a great low price (comes from the same factory as Bauhaus-Walstein)

Last edited by a moderator:

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Jack

You can't beat a recommend from a very happy customer can you and you certainly seem to be that, I hope you continue to enjoy your purchases,I thought there were some really interesting reads in the link you posted,he seems to be a man determined to give his best and you can't beat that can you...all the best...john

Bonytony1

They look pretty good. Solid. I will ahve to try them. I'm a sax player who's just moved to san diego from london. Anyone around in my area?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Don't know what you mean Kev when you go on the site and click on new saxes it gives two options 1)just saxes Crescent 2)Bauhaus Walstien

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom