All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

And greetings from The Mild West...

bestbutter

Richard here, from Redruth in Cornwall. I've wanted to play the saxophone since I was in short trousers but due to a combination of apprehension, poverty and laziness I'm only now getting around to it. Disgraceful, isn't it?

Given the lameness of these excuses I'm truly wondering why I didn't do it before. And leaving the learning until the tenderised age of 57 means absolutely no hope of even getting close to Coltrane/Clemons/Skidmore/Gordon/Curtis/Heckstall-Smith/Surman/Garbarek/any other titan of tenor/soprano/baritone to whose talents I once aspired yet whose very robes I am now unfit to touch.

But I'm getting to know where the notes are (on a B&H400 tenor, as it goes), my thumb's going a bit funny from the octave key and I can dream. Is there a support network of the likeminded out there?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Good to see your first post. I think a lot of us came to the sax late and also realise we wont get close to our heroes - but they still provide inspiration for us.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, BestButter.

Trust you have some crumpet, too.

ENJOY!

TomMapfumo

Hi, Richard Here, and a very warm welcome to the Cafe from the deserts of Skabertawe, in South Wales - same Celtic roots, at least if you are Cornish born and bred. There's a time and a place to come to the sax from what I can see - started at 47 myself on soprano, and inspired by Jan of the Garbarek's.

I hope that you have a great time here, and look forward to keeping track of your progress, and egging you on in all things sax....!
Kind regards
Tom

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe. Better late than never. You can still stand in front of a mirror, with your mp3 player on (walkman if you really old ;}) and pretend..... "Tonight Mathew..... I'm gona be.......... Charlie Parker" :)))

Enjoy both your stay here at the cafe and your journey through the land of the sax!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hello Richard

Welcome to the cafe, you've come to the right place for support,we are all here to help one another, and the only daft question is the one you don't ask, so feel free to ask away there will always be some one who will try to help.I started at 59 with no previous musical knowledge and now I can more or less play a tune straight off the page (more or less underlined),just enjoy your playing and take your time,you'll probably surprise yourself how competent you become,and you have just shown me how lacking my sax knowledge is because I haven't heard of most of the sax players you mention...all the best....john

Two Voices

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the Cafe! You never know you may have a gift and be able to play like Charlie Parker within a couple of years!

The most important thing I think with playing the sax is to have fun and enjoy the ride!

Happy blowing,

Paul (who is currently suffering from Inglisitis :))) )

Filton

Can only agree with everyone else here and re-iterate the need to enjoy the ride . . It is good to aspire but not good to run yourself down because you feel you may never be as good as some... set achievable goals and a small step at a time you will be moving towards where you want to be.

Redruth is a town I know very well, I spent many weekends there in my younger days and have friends still in the area (and in Lanner and Camborne) and still like to visit Portreath beach whenever I am down that way.

Pauline

Subscriber
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum! Don't worry about your age, many of us are late starters - I started nearly 4 years ago when I was 55.
Mmmm... feel I should be better at playing by now :shocked:.......but hey, what the heck? Having fun is what really matters! Enjoy!

1954pip

hi richard
welcome i think there are quite a few aaa how can i put this silver surfers just like just like me.
i have only just started at 56 like i say i think a lot seem to start later in life not sure why ,but just enjoy yourself
pip

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome, from the opposite end of the country! Enjoy the ride and the banter - encouragement by the barrow load available from the cafe members!

bestbutter

A belated muchas gracias to everyone for the replies and kind wishes. The Beatles have suffered enough so I'm getting my digits around 'Ain't Misbehavin' and 'My Funny Valentine'. Tricky stuff with the upper accidentals definitely a challenge. My tutor recommends knitting as a good way to exercise a sax player's fingers, but whether he's responsible for his own sweaters he refuses to admit...

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom