All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

An open letter to YC.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Did ask the driver to take us to Jon F's pad, enabling you to have your choice of whatever could be liberated but he insisted on going to Sheffield Park Station (nowhere near Sheffield, The Midlands, thank goodness.) The train did not go past the Jonery either so to make up for it, I purchased, actually paid for it, a container for your favourite beverage. That's right, a Camp Coffee mug.

Are you going to be floating around young Jonnie's this week? I couldn't face the Windmill again. You can also have that book with all the nude action in it back. What was it called, ah yes, Heavenly Bodies to watch.

jonf

I don't know what to say about this, well, I don't know what, really, but I take it you've been for a play on the Bluebell Railway?

By the way, Sheffield isn't in the midlands. It's in the North, admittedly the Southern bit of the North, but the North nevertheless.

Young Col

Oh dear, I'd better reply. Just as I was winding down after a bit of amateur radio contest work on the 6m band (QRP Bill, of course).
Nothing wrong with Sheffield, which is of course in the South of the North, being Yorkshire and a very nice City. Great grandfather-in-law Laycock, founder of an illustrious engineering company, was mayor there.

Unfortunately Bill I can't be available to take my Heavenly Bodies book on Friday as I have to attend for my fortnightly punishment with my sax instructor. After that Mrs YC and I have to spend money at the garden centre. So I'll have to leave you in the capable hands of my ex-sub postmaster, now owner of the splendid Windmill establishment.

Hope you enjoyed the Bluebell Line and will arrange to collect the mug soon.

Jon, I have to say I had no part in any plan to liberate anything from you even though it's a great opportunity seeing as how your minder is on a biking trip to Croatia.
YC

griff136

Did ask the driver to take us to Jon F's pad, ......, I purchased, actually paid for it, a container for your favourite beverage. That's right, a Camp Coffee mug.
does that mean you bought a pink cup:)))

Young Col

Oh no, Griff! And there's me thinking you might be saner than the rest of us which is why I just referred someone to you for a neck recorking job!
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Griff has met Mrs YC and therefore knows what a delightful lady she is. I believe it was her influence that persuaded the priest to let them marry in my old school's chapel despite YC being a grammar school oik. Having been married on the Alleyn Estate the lady is far too cultured and refined for an ex-army type below the rank of colonel. >:)

After that YC, check your mate in case Griff's corking asphyxiates him or me.;}

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Nothing wrong with Sheffield, which is of course in the South of the North, being Yorkshire and a very nice City. Great grandfather-in-law Laycock, founder of an illustrious engineering company, was mayor there.

YC

Small world my grandfather worked at Laycocks!

Young Col

Yes indeed Jeanette. Wonder if that was pre the GKN take over and if so was it at the Archer Road works in Sheffield. The site itself is now a supermarket, but Laycock Engineering Sports and Social Club is (was, a few years ago) still opposite.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Yes indeed Jeanette. Wonder if that was pre the GKN take over and if so was it at the Archer Road works in Sheffield. The site itself is now a supermarket, but Laycock Engineering Sports and Social Club is (was, a few years ago) still opposite.
Pretty sure it was still Laycocks when he retired,he died last year age 92 so it is some time since he retired.

Young Col

Could well have been. It was still called Laycock's after the GKN takeover. My late father in law did his apprenticeship in the 1930s but I think even then it was not family owned any more. He told me he probably worked for every engineering firm in Sheffield , but never the family one! Great to hear your story though.
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Dimly recall Laycock's being involved in motor racing, crankshafts or something?

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom