support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones An oddity?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Saw this creature on't internet http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/111524794/pre-war-usa-horn-with-geib-case.html

Seller says soprano sax, which it clearly ain't

Metal clarinet?

Last edited:
I was told the metal clarinets were first developed for military bands serving in the tropics. The wood ones couldn't handle the humidity. Nice in a Trad band and busking. Interesting tone. A straight forward fix up if nothing is broken and it's all there. Some are collectable. It's an instrument on my list at the right price.

...... As it should , It`s not the material a clarinet body is made of which determines the tone , the Lyons C I`ve just sold to JonF is 100% made of plastic and it sounds like a clarinet too ...... I do like those metal ones though if in good nick, I`m amazed they`ve not been made since by the Chinese, they make C Melody saxes (which may have died out otherwise)

The Chinese C melody was only started because Steve Wedgwood (Aquilasax) commissioned several hundreds from a Chinese factory not because they spontaneously went into this market, after the exclusivity agreement expired they started offering them on the open market since Aquilasax had created the interest and they still had the tooling.

The metal clarinet is of no real interest to the Chinese makers ( in Taiwan there are no clarinet makers).
Because it is more expensive to make than a wooden or plastic one and because the clarinet market, small as it is and loaded with secondhand clarinets , doesn’t really see these favorably.

The majority of these metal clarinets, often misidentified to be soprano saxophones, are not rare or sought after. There are, of course the exceptions and some have quite a following among specialized collectors.

In Turkey there is quite a tradition for metal clarinets with Albert system and tuned in G

g-clarinet--1.jpg

Generally poorly made and with terrible intonation,. this one in the picture is sold as a decorative item!

In the past the clarinets were the woodwinds which expressed the largest variety in tuning with some examples of double barreled clarinets tuned in two scales! THESE are rare and expensive oddities!

QuartertoneClarinet.jpg

well, clarinet player are already considered weird by most saxophone players because a clarinet plays already in two scales!

If you play with the “ octave” key on a clarinet you go up a 12th, so, in actual fact you have one instrument playing in two keys.

for all of you who want to know more about the metal clarinet you must read this

http://www.silver-clarinet.com

there you will also hear about double walled metal clarinets , interestingly enough these were invented in Italy by Agostino Rampone ( one of the forefathers, together with Giovanbattista Cazzani of the Rampone & Cazzani company) and then their patent was sort of stolen by Conn and made it into a relative success.

Not wishing to interrupt the thread - Hi Kev, I take it you've visited the Museum in Markneukirchen, is it worth a visit? Never made it to that part of Germany as yet. I have two or three museums on my bucket list, one is the Levi Museum in Bamberg and two is the Markneukirchen Museum. Your impressions would be appreciated. gruss - spike

Back on thread - first came across metal clarinets in Istanbul in the sixties they seemed to be the predominant clarinet form all over the middle east at that time and probably to this day. I seem to remember seeing metal clarinets being used by the wedding bands in Pakistan and India at that time as well.

Last edited:
Not wishing to interrupt the thread - Hi Kev, I take it you've visited the Museum in Markneukirchen, is it worth a visit? Never made it to that part of Germany as yet.

Why not buying some instruments, while there? I seem to remember some Hammerschmidt clarinets are still made in the area. >:)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom