support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

An hour in a Flotation Tank

Halfers

Finger Flapper
In a quest to alleviate (some of the) mental and physical aches and pains that come with middle age, I've been paying a bit more attention to my physical and mental fitness of late. The prospect of going to a gym doesn't fill me with much joy, so I'm restricting myself to a bit of stretching exercises and some quiet meditation time to attempt to tune down the annoying little twit that lives in my brain! Playing the sax also helps with the chill time too, I have to say, though I need an empty house for that!

By chance, I discovered last week that there's a relatively newly opened Flotation tank centre quite close to where I live, so I thought I'd give it a go. It's not in the most appealing of places - it's in a small Unit in a Business Park in the middle of the City, but hey, there's free parking and once you're inside..

The experience involves entering a small private room, painted nightclub black, which contains a white plastic clam shaped pod with a closing lid. The pod contains a foot of heavily epsom salted water (half a ton in one pod). You get in, close the lid and (if you choose to) turn off the neon blue lights in the pod. You wear ear plugs, mainly to keep the salt water out of your ears, but also to block sound.

And you lie there for an hour, floating in body temperature water in the pitch black. For the first ten minutes they pipe some gentle, relaxing music through under water speakers (not Kenny Gee) and then, it's total silence....The air in the pod is the same temperature as the water so it's difficult to tell what's in and what's above the tide line..

I've read some people enter very deep meditative states of mind during their session. I have to say, I didn't quite reach nirvana, but it was a very interesting and relaxing experience...

Last edited:
I guess it could be, if you're very claustrophobic. I reckon the pod I went in is about the size of a 2, or maybe 3 person Igloo tent (I have a fear of tents so am not an expert on their internal dimensions) There are other designs, but the one I went in was like this. (That's not me, waiting to enter, just in case you're wondering...)

images

I have read reviews from people who claim to be claustrophobic but didn't have a problem, but I guess it's subjective.

I did have one very brief moment, where out of nowhere I felt a bit of a rush of panic. I switched on the light for a minute or so and as soon as it went on, all was calm.

There is also the option not to close the lid.

I guess it could be, if you're very claustrophobic. I reckon the pod I went in is about the size of a 2, or maybe 3 person Igloo tent (I have a fear of tents so am not an expert on their internal dimensions) There are other designs, but the one I went in was like this. (That's not me, waiting to enter, just in case you're wondering...)

images

I have read reviews from people who claim to be claustrophobic but didn't have a problem, but I guess it's subjective.
I'm not usually claustrophobic but the mix of salt water, pod and dark only says one thing to me - submarine with a hole in it!

I tried self-hypnosis whilst at college. I woke up in the middle of the night having fallen asleep rather than attaining a state of mind where upon I could suggest something to myself (could have done this consciously too, I note). I was amazingly relaxed though, feeling like I was embedded into the floor.

My daughter does this fairly regularly...as in maybe 3-4 times/year. She is a big fan. I am going thru a horrible time right now, sudden death of a very close family member.
I may seek out one of these....

Thank y'all, truly....didn't mean to darken the thread.

I actually know a few other folks who report very positive results from flotation therapy....it was fairly popular when I lived on the West Coast and Pacific Northwest with several facilities available in most major cities there....

Thank y'all, truly....didn't mean to darken the thread.

I actually know a few other folks who report very positive results from flotation therapy....it was fairly popular when I lived on the West Coast and Pacific Northwest with several facilities available in most major cities there....

One of the reasons we seek out life experiences that bring us momentary happiness, relief or just a tiny bit of relaxation, is because for a short while they remove ourselves from the inevitable pain and exasperation of day to day living. Death and taxes and humiliation and all of that are unfortunately as much of life (more maybe) than our moments of light relief. Hope you find some light relief in your time of grief. (and you've gone with spelling 'flotation' which I appreciate :) )

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom