support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Amati Kraslice Alto

Mikey B

Hi Breakfast roomers!

does anybody have any ideas on how to date one of these horns from the serial numbers.

I am asking on behalf of a friend who believes this to be quite old. She would really like to find out the age of it.

Any suggestions would appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

You may find these links interesting:

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/Amati-History.html

http://www.saxpics.com/keilwerth/index.htm

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1206526

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=11

Amati was deeply tied in/grew out of Keilworth, and there's a lot of info under other makers like Keilworth... I also read somewhere that they restarted serial numbers at least once, so other clues like body/key details, engravings may be needed. Will be interesting to see what Thom comes up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found my old notes that I have concerning Amati production. Amati's serialnumber isn't that clear, infact quite confusing. Amati made saxes and parts for other manufactors/brands; SML/Toptone, Couf, Keilwerth, Boosey & Hawkes .... but maybe other manufactors as well? The iron curtain was very convient!! Amati Lignatone, Musica Styer was also made by Amati.

1945-1955, model Toneking, markt with JKG, # - c 20 000, rolled tonholes (alto/tenor), prod.line: ss, as, ts, bs.

1955-1972, model Classic, # 20 000 - 37 000, drawn toneholes, prod.line: ss, as, ts, bs.

1972-1990, model Classic- Super Classic, Classic Deluxe (just alto and tenor, body made of copper), c 37 000 - c 100 000, drawn toneholes, prod.line: ss, as, ts, bs.

1990- , model ASS, AAS, ATS, ABS, detable bell on some, c 100 000 - c 200 000, drawn toneholes, prod.line: ss, as, ts, bs.

Thomas

thanks guys,

the serial number is 319951, going by Thomsax's guide its not that old. Im not sure about the engraving, I will have a look the next time I see her.

Regards, Mike.

The Czech saxophone production is confusing. I have owned a couple of "Amati" saxes though the years. Just one is stamped/named Amati. Lignatone, Musica Steyer, Loius Robert, La Fluer by Boosey & Hawkes, Corton ... all stencils from "Amati" during the communist era. The known production for other distrubutors/"manufactors was also qiute big.

The offical name is Amati Denak. Amati is the name of a family of Italian violin makers, who flourished at Cremona from about 1549 to 1740. Denak stands for de(chove) =wind, na(stroje) = instrument and k for Kraclice.

Thomas

The Czech saxophone production is confusing. I have owned a couple of "Amati" saxes though the years. Just one is stamped/named Amati. Lignatone, Musica Steyer, Loius Robert, La Fluer by Boosey & Hawkes, Corton ... all stencils from "Amati" during the communist era. The known production for other distrubutors/"manufactors was also qiute big.

The offical name is Amati Denak. Amati is the name of a family of Italian violin makers, who flourished at Cremona from about 1549 to 1740. Denak stands for de(chove) =wind, na(stroje) = instrument and k for Kraclice.

Thomas

Wow, you know so much.......... :)

I'm pleased with my Amati "Lafleur" for B&H, sounds good throughout the range (with the right mpc), a lovely sweet sound, or it'll play rough if you want it to.;}

Wow, you know so much.......... :)
Ian,
Thank you ... but my probleme is that I can't read my own notes. I wrote the notes for ten years ago when I talked to a German guy on telephone. I think I got the already confused Amati serialnumber even more confused!! According to my notes it should be:

Toneking (JFK) from c 20 000 - c 37 000 (1945-1955)
Classic from c 37 000 - c 100 000 (1955-1972)
Classic, Super Classic, Classic Deluxe from c 100 000 - c 200 000 (1972 -1990)
ASS,AAS ATS,ABS from c 200 000 - (1990-)

Again the serialnuber on "Amati" is not secure.

Flipper2008,
I agree, the Amati built saxes are good. I think they has a darker sound and more "body" comparing to the Chinese or Tawainese horns. I have a "new" ATS-31 to high F# for sale. Hard to sell, the buyers prefer a Chinese sax to an Amati. Cheaper and a modern design/sound. But better? I don't think so ..

Thomas

Hi again Thomsax,

getting back to the Amati Kraslice Alto sax serial number is 319951 and the model is AAS92.
the engraving on the bell is a large "ak" and between these letters is a crown on a top of a column.

Is this any help for you to date the sax?

Thanks, Mike.

Hi Mike,

It's a new model from Amati, and I don't anything about this model. Just a couple of years old, I think. I found this about the Amati AAS 94 - model CHARISMA. "Together with new line of alto saxophones TONEKING there is being developed new professional model CHARISMA. This alto saxophone will be made of a special hardened brass alloy and his target use is professional all genre playing".

I hope the Amati company still is making saxes. Beisde some French and Italian makers, and Keilwerth, Amaiti are still running the business. Let's hope they will continue.

Thomas

Hi Mike I emailed the company and found them to be most helpful. I discovered that my tenor ATS21 305681 was made in 1960. OK that doesn't make it a vintage horn but its in great condition and has a superb tone (to my ears any way)
Contact them here amati@amati.cz
Good luck

Hi. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I'm a bit confused regarding these serial number charts as I have a soprano Super Classic with serial number 4597. Does anyone have an idea what year it might be from? Hope it's ok that this is my first post!

Hi. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I'm a bit confused regarding these serial number charts as I have a soprano Super Classic with serial number 4597. Does anyone have an idea what year it might be from? Hope it's ok that this is my first post!

It's fine but do say hi in the doorbell section too :)

Jx

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom