All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Alto v tenor

chadders

I really enjoy playing my alto but I am tempted to buy a tenor to add some variety to my playing. When discussed with Mrs Chadders her immediate question to me was 'Is a tenor louder than an alto', and you know I have no idea!!
So if I were to play a passage of music on an alto and then play exactly the same passage with the same amount of air pressure on a tenor with a similar reed/mouthpiece set up, would the notes be louder, or perhaps more importantly is mrs chadders likely to reach for the ear defenders quicker with a tenor than she does with the alto?
Any views?

Chad

Taz

Busking Oracle
I don't think there would be much difference , but just to make sure I just asked Mrs Taz and she thinks that the alto is louder. She then added that it may be so because the alto is a little bit more piercing than the tenor.
Who am I to argue?

chadders

ooooo This is the sort of thing I want to hear!! I can feel a bit of a spend coming on ! thanks guys !!

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Generally, lower pitched sounds "cut through" less than higher pitched sounds do. Take a choir: sopranos and tenors really cut through the texture, whereas altos and basses don't... You can easily hear one piccolo over a whole symphony orchestra.

This would suggest a GAS attack is imminent....

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
fully agree. Tenor's are mellower, less aggressive.

Until you really let rip with a big PPT or another screamer.....

Go for it, play softly. She'll love it.

MartinL

Certainly my wife prefers the Tenor as the "noise" isn't so cutting, although sometimes I play Alto and if I tell her its the Tenor she likes it too ;}>:)

jonf

Stop agonising over it and just buy one. You know it makes sense.

saxplorer

Certainly my wife prefers the Tenor as the "noise" isn't so cutting, although sometimes I play Alto and if I tell her its the Tenor she likes it too ;}>:)

That made me laugh so much ... so much conveyed in so few words >:):))) priceless!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom