support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Can the alto be too small for large people?

Alto - yeah, somebody has to play ‘em. I’m just glad that it isn’t me.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

lets all try to get real - if we can - to the OP - choose the saxophone whose tone most moves your heart-strings - be that alto or tenor or what have you. The alto is a fabulous place to start and alto sax is sensational - but - so is tenor sax. One may move your soul more than the other and while a vast majority of sax players start with alto it does not mean you cannot start with tenor OR soprano. For the moment I would not be considering Baritone.

Alto - yeah, somebody has to play ‘em.
What a true statement, Sonny Stit, Charlie Parker, David Sanborn, Phil Woods, Cannonball Adderley, Ornett Coleman, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond, Kenny Garrett, Art Pepper, and plenty more.

Reactions: Sue
I am now the proud owner of his Buescher bass that he said he bought from Adrian Rollini. Maybe he did but he wouldn’t put it in writing for me.
Lucky you: I bought his Martin Handcraft tenor (it was in a right state!), he told me he never liked Selmer saxophones (but he did play Selmer clarinets).

I did a repair on a Selmer clarinet for a friend. How one wooden tube with holes can sound so much sweeter than another wooden tube with holes was a revelation to me.
The value of it was a bit scarey though. :eek:

What a true statement, Sonny Stit, Charlie Parker, David Sanborn, Phil Woods, Cannonball Adderley, Ornett Coleman, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond, Kenny Garrett, Art Pepper, and plenty more.

A lot of people like to play banjo. And much as I might enjoy listening to a really good banjo player, I don’t care to play banjo (I actually spent a lot of time learning to play the banjo many years ago, and just don’t like it enough to continue investing the time).

Bag pipes… Some people play them.

Last edited:
I don’t care to play banjo (I actually spent a lot of time learning to play the banjo many years ago, and just don’t like it enough to continue investing the time).
Definition of a gentleman: someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't.

• Funny
Reactions: Sue
A lot of people like to play banjo. And much as I might enjoy listening to a really good banjo player, I don’t care to play banjo (I actually spent a lot of time learning to play the banjo many years ago, and just don’t like it enough to continue investing the time).

Bag pipes… Some people play them.
Fair enough but I did feel it sounded a little insulting as though the alto was some what inferior which its not.
No one type of horn is better than the next, they all have something to offer in the right hands.

Fair enough but I did feel it sounded a little insulting as though the alto was some what inferior which its not.
No one type of horn is better than the next, they all have something to offer in the right hands.

That’s another way of saying the same thing.

Or I could say that you are insulting me by implying that I do not possess sufficient talent to play the alto.

Now I am going to go sob.

Enjoy your horn - whatever the choice.

That’s another way of saying the same thing.

Or I could say that you are insulting me by implying that I do not possess sufficient talent to play the alto.

Now I am going to go sob.

Enjoy your horn - whatever the choice.
No that's not what I meant or said, no one type of sax is better than the next, they all have something to offer.

Tenor is King but alto is a democrat and president. Baritone is Boss. Soprano is an utter, utter, utter......
A joke is a joke even if you don't think it's funny.
Pro banter is something else. Humph was an expert exponent and the craik between Barber, Bilk and Ball was something tobehold. Jimmy Edwards had a mean wit too.

View: https://youtu.be/E9gtv_pWLaA

No that's not what I meant or said, no one type of sax is better than the next, they all have something to offer.

I feel like I am posting on the humor-free subforum.

Enjoy whatever you choose to play - or don’t enjoy it if you choose not to. I am not telling you what to do - neither do I care if you have an opinion that is incongruent with mine.

My recommended reads of the day:

“What Do You Care What Other People Think?” - Richard P. Feynman.

“Criticism in Your Life: How to Give it - How to Take It” - Dr. Deborah Bright.

“Inner Game of Music” - W. Timothy Gallwey.

Tenor - It’s All That Matters (to me, in my not-so-humble opinion)

I feel like I am posting on the humor-free subforum.

Enjoy whatever you choose to play - or don’t enjoy it if you choose not to. I am not telling you what to do - neither do I care if you have an opinion that is incongruent with mine.

My recommended reads of the day:

“What Do You Care What Other People Think?” - Richard P. Feynman.

“Criticism in Your Life: How to Give it - How to Take It” - Dr. Deborah Bright.

“Inner Game of Music” - W. Timothy Gallwey.

Tenor - It’s All That Matters (to me, in my not-so-humble opinion)
Actually my post no 24 was meant to be a little tongue in cheek, sorry you didn't get it.
Enjoy whatever horn you believe in.

Actually my post no 24 was meant to be a little tongue in cheek, sorry you didn't get it.
Enjoy whatever horn you believe in.

As was Post #27 in response. Just as in “Criticism in You Life” suggests, “don’t take stuff personally”. If you were jesting, then why take my jest as hurtful? If one is easily upset, it is best not to jest with others.

I do enjoy the tenor - although I have played SATB over the years in many various ensembles and genres, tenor is the horn that rings my bells, expresses my voice, and fills me with pleasure. After 50+ years of playing, tenor remains my voice of choice.

It makes me sad knowing that many will never feel that way about any instrument - music can be amazingly fulfilling if you commit (or is that “submit”?).

As was Post #27 in response. Just as in “Criticism in You Life” suggests, “don’t take stuff personally”. If you were jesting, then why take my jest as hurtful? If one is easily upset, it is best not to jest with others.

I do enjoy the tenor - although I have played SATB over the years in many various ensembles and genres, tenor is the horn that rings my bells, expresses my voice, and fills me with pleasure. After 50+ years of playing, tenor remains my voice of choice.

It makes me sad knowing that many will never feel that way about any instrument - music can be amazingly fulfilling if you commit (or is that “submit”?).
I agree totally with you about you have to commit to a horn.
Might have took your post as too literal and not as jest for that I apologise.
Me personally I love alto like you do tenor but its all good.

The OP is long gone. I wonder why?
I've been noticing that lately. We receive new members with open arms (holding on to our saxes, of course) when they first post but then they seem to go away.

Back
Top Bottom