Fingering Charts

Basic Fingering charts (no sharps or flats)

First we have a couple of very basic fingering charts which show you the saxophone fingerings for the lower and upper register in the key of C. These are ideal for absolute beginners who don’t want to be overwhelmed by the entire chart of all fingerings.

Of course, because the saxophone is a transposing instrument, the same fingering chart applies whether you play soprano, alto, baritone or tenor saxophone.

After that we have charts for the other notes. On this page I have only included the most common fingerings and a couple of alternative fingerings for the standard range.

The fingerings here are good for beginners to learn, but there are some more alternative fingerings. On this page we only show the standard range of the saxophone (up to F on older instruments and up to F# on many newer ones) but we also have a chart of fingerings for the extended (altissimo range)

Lower Register

low register saxophone fingering chart
Lower register key of C

Upper Register

(The octave key is the immediately above the left hand thumb rest)

upper register saxophone fingering chart
Upper register key of C

First steps: Basic Fingering charts (with all sharps and flats)

Here we have all the notes of the lower and upper registers including the sharps and flats (AKA the chromatic scale)

In some cases alternative fingerings are shown. The first one in each case can be considered the “regular” fingering.

Lower Register

low register chromatic saxophone fingering chart
Lower register chromatic

Upper Register

upper register chromatic saxophone fingering chart
Upper register chromatic

As you get more advanced: The bottom and Top Notes

bottom and top notes saxophone fingering chart
Bottom and top notes

Share:

Sponsored ads

Did you enjoy this article? Please consider donating. All donations to charity Currently: £97500 so far! – INFO

22 thoughts on “Fingering Charts”

1. Very helpful. I learned a lot from this page. I will be copying and pinning these charts to my walls. Good reference for beginners.

2. Hello, I am a high school student who recently joined band. I struggled through marching band with trying to learn how to play the saxaphone, and I’m still struggling with learning. Band in high school is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I haven’t really been able to practice at my own pace. This website has helped me a lot by helping me practice on my own. Thank you

3. You have a mistake under Upper Register. The alternate fingering for third space C uses the left hand first finger with the right hand middle palm key, not the top one as you have indicated. An easy mistake to make.

4. More than useful. Thought I knew all the notes until I read the chart on upper and lower notes wow. Excellent. The upper and lower notes not even in my sax playing books

5. Very helpful to me as a beginner. My teacher has been doing great job but this chart actually threw more light. Do well by publishing subsequent steps. Thanks

6. Think you can add that C flat is the same as B? I couldn’t find it here and had too look somewhere else. Thanks.

7. Is there an altissimo fingering chart? I’m looking for f#, g, g#, and a fingerings that can be played quickly off of the ones here.

8. I’ve been ‘playing’ for less than a week and my biggest struggle is going across the transition from lower to upper registers. Not sound-wise, but fingering-wise. Getting all fingers into place from lower register C to an upper register B just seems impossible. I don’t know if I’ll ever get it.

9. Very good study page and ilustrations as well you could learn very fast and like a pro. No bad comments about this page at all. And using it like a reference is very good too. I play saxophone, clarinet, soprano, tenor, oboe and flute as well.

Leave a Comment