All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Alto Novice Living In Central Asia

Ken_Sturrock

Forever Flat
Subscriber
Howdy Folks:

I’ve been reading the site for months but just registered recently. I’m from the U.S. but am currently living in Central Asia.

As a late bloomer with no musical background, I decided that the time was finally right to pick up a saxophone and learn to play. In addition to learning how to play, I’ve been learning how to read music and understand the theory and structure beneath it. Some of my friends have told me not to sweat the theory but I really enjoy that and, after all, I get to do it all for fun. Although I’ve been listening to a lot of different Jazz, and also classical, saxophone – lately I’ve focused on Paul Desmond, and David Sanborn. For a horn I’m playing a simple but serviceable student Yamaha.

Now, I’ve got to get together with the local saxophone instructor – I need a little one-on-one work because, while my slurring is fun my tonguing is slow, choppy and spitty sounding.

All the best,

-Ken

Sunray

Hey Hey Ken ...

So you have been reading here for some months ... But how long have you been playing your sax for? I am certain that continued practice will help you improve your tonguing technique ... But it sure is a good thing to find a tutor to help you ... :thumb:
I am guessing you have an Alto sax ... :sax:

What on-line resources do you need ? - there many that may be of interest regarding reading music theory ... in many of the Cafe Threads ... try the search tool ...

This one I find quite helpful to start ...

Here are a couple more [Link Here]

and for Notation software FREE [Here]

If you can't find what you want - shout - Someone here is bound to be able to help ...

Good luck mate ...

Welcome to the Cafe ... Have fun ... ;}

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Ken.

You've been lurking and you still want to join?:)

ENJOY!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me too. Central asia... intriguing. With a local sax instructor... Hmm.

Have fun!

tommy

welcome 2 the cafe Ken you will have fun with your learning and Sunray very good links you should put more up

Sunray

welcome 2 the cafe Ken you will have fun with your learning and Sunray very good links you should put more up
What sort of stuff do people want? I ain't a good mind-reader ... lmao ;}

Yell if you need something ... If I can't there's loads here who prolly can ... :)))

Cheers tommy :thumb:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Welome from a fellow novice on the alto :). They're mostly friendly in here :D

Definitely worth getting a tutor - I've just had my second lesson this afternoon - had a great time and he was really encouraging so good luck there.

Justin Chune

Hello Ken, welcome to the cafe. You can't go wrong with a Yamaha saxophone. I hope you find a teacher soon.

Jim.

Ken_Sturrock

Forever Flat
Subscriber
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, oddly enough Bishkek has a small Jazz scene and even hosts an annual festival:

http://www.imhoart.uz/index.php?opt...atid=18:2010-03-23-05-21-18&Itemid=65&lang=en

Although there may not be a big instruction scene, there are a few musicians around who can help a fellow out.

Sunray - thanks for the links. I've been fooling around with my alto for a couple of months now. I started off by playing just notes to try to learn fingerings and am now working through a couple of songs - Corcovado and My Funny Valentine.

-Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunray

Hey Hey Ken ...

Here is Tenor Sax a version of Corcovado [by Crazydaisydoo] :thumb:

I am sure you'll like it ...

Cheers mate ...

EDIT: Here is his Soprano vertion of "My Funny Valentine"

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
"Valentine".

Tricky, that one.

Never able to get the same emotions that the words generate but fairly easy as a moody ballad.

Ken_Sturrock

Forever Flat
Subscriber
Sunray: Thanks! it'll give me something to aim for...

Old Git: Yeah my renditions are slow enough for quite a bit of mood to creep in. I just remind myself that speed only blurs the style. ;}

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi Ken

Welcome from me too:)

Sounds like you are enjoying your sax.:thumb:

Jx

dave 645

Hi Ken,
Welcome to the forum. Can you be more precise on where you are based. Central Asia covers a lot of space in my mind! I read Bishkek, but haven't researched further. What takes you there? I, many years ago, spent two years living in Nepal, and often wonder how good my sax skills would be now if I had taken the sax with me, utilizing many many free hours that I had.

Ken_Sturrock

Forever Flat
Subscriber
Dave:

I work at the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan as an economic affairs officer. I also deal with science, technology, environment and health issues as well. As you mentioned about your time in Nepal, I felt that I could carve out some nice regular blocks of time to practice. I also spend most of my day reading and writing so learning Sax helps me engage the more creative side of my brain and blow off steam in the process.

After spending the day responding politely to everything that comes along, sometimes it just feels good to really wail on my horn.

-Ken

dave 645

Enjoy the time you have, but take advantage of the opportunities that a completely foreign culture offers up to you. For me Football (soccer) was an international language, music is another. Good luck and don't be afraid to share your experiences.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Ken,
Sounds like you are what is known in certain circles as "The Resident".>:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom