PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Alto mouth piece recommendation for practicing

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
Hi all, can anyone recommend an alto m.p. which is rounded, smooth, dark, mellow, not stuffy though, and can be played quietly without effort of trying to play quietly. I suppose a sort of classical sound? or a sort of Paul desmond sound ( I know, you have to 'be him' to sound like him) but you know what I mean.

Try a Bari Esprit - minimal cost and a nice sound. I like them.

Hi all, can anyone recommend an alto m.p. which is rounded, smooth, dark, mellow, not stuffy though, and can be played quietly without effort of trying to play quietly. I suppose a sort of classical sound? or a sort of Paul desmond sound ( I know, you have to 'be him' to sound like him) but you know what I mean.

just noticed I had won a Selmer C** on ebay, so I think that should fit the job....

Would suggest the Phil Tone Solstice, I've been really happy with my alto set up since I got mine, just wish I could land on the right mouthpiece for the tenor!

Best of luck with the Selmer C**

Would suggest the Phil Tone Solstice, I've been really happy with my alto set up since I got mine, just wish I could land on the right mouthpiece for the tenor!

Best of luck with the Selmer C**

I have the Phil-Tone Custom Meyer 5. which I like, but just needed a mp for quiet practice playing, I think the selmer C** should do it.. Is there a Solstice available for the tenor?

Hi John!

Phil's website is not yet fully updated. In addition to those listed there are the following tenor mouthpieces, details of which you may find on SOTW if you look up Phil-Tone via the search button:

1. The metal Tribute, produced collaboratively with Theo Wanne - based on an early Florida STM Link.
2. The Isotope - a higher baffle version of the Equinox - my favourite.
3. The Sapphire - related loosely to a Link Tone - Edge, but much higher quality as you might expect.
4. The Solar Eclipse - more baffle than the Eclipse.

Always best to email him directly if you want any info - great to relate to but not the best administrator in the world, as he readily admits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your C* is a good starting point. Can't go wrong with that. But a Selmer D will give you a warmer sound. Try a harder reed to get the Paul Desmond sound.

Your C* is a good starting point. Can't go wrong with that. But a Selmer D will give you a warmer sound. Try a harder reed to get the Paul Desmond sound.

Hi, its a C**, but does a wider tip opening change the sound?

Hey John
The C** has a bigger sound. I prefer it actually to the C*. See what you think. Personally I prefer a wider tip opening with a softer reed anyway.

I have the Phil-Tone Custom Meyer 5. which I like, but just needed a mp for quiet practice playing,

Personally, I consider using a different mouthpiece just for practicing unhealthy: are you developing an embouchure for the Meyer or for the S80?
The art of swapping mouthpiece (or instrument) is not that easy.

I would rather recommend a softer reed, learning hoe to control it.

Personally, I consider using a different mouthpiece just for practicing unhealthy: are you developing an embouchure for the Meyer or for the S80?

Yes I wondered about that, if it becomes a problem I will stick to just one.

Well that didnt work out! didnt like the sound after the meyer,best to stick to the one m.p. I think,learn to play quiet on the one I have.get used to, and familiar with one m.p. (some of us take a long time to learn these things):blush:

Going forwards is so much easier than going backwards, but sometimes we learn from going backwards - primarily we learn NOT to go backwards. Playing quiet is a good discipline to develop!

Hi, its a C**, but does a wider tip opening change the sound?

Selmer C* is 0.067", C** 0.071". Both narrow tip openings. I'd doubt I'd notice much difference between them - 4 thou of an inch difference is a pretty miniscule difference.

And yet they make them for a reason. Does 0.1mm sound bigger. They are French after all

Well that didnt work out! didnt like the sound after the meyer,best to stick to the one m.p. I think,learn to play quiet on the one I have.get used to, and familiar with one m.p. (some of us take a long time to learn these things):blush:

UPDATE..I actualy quite like this Selmer C** after playing it for a while.....I tend to make snap decisions before giving these things a fair time... It has quite a nice mellow/dark rounded sound (I sound like Paul desmond now) I prefer it to the Meyer at time of going to press!:blush::blush:

Back
Top Bottom