support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Alto Ligatures

arock

What is the difference between a $7 U.S. ligature and a $150 U.S. ligature? My new Otto Link hard rubber came with a cheap looking one but I am sure Otto Link feels it will do the job.

Sorry I missed the prior coverage. Thanks for the links.
My take here is the if I am a beginner, I might not notice much, if any difference. Better to spend the money on more lessons.
All advice is appreciated at my level.
Thanks.

What is the difference between a $7 U.S. ligature and a $150 U.S. ligature? My new Otto Link hard rubber came with a cheap looking one but I am sure Otto Link feels it will do the job.

Its a challenge to find a $150 alto ligature, but there are two over $100 here: http://sax-ccessories.com/homes/category/34/ALTO_SAX . There are also many that are a lot cheaper, though!

Otto Link mouthpieces can lack consistency in manufacture and $7 will not necessarily provide a very good ligature. Many folks can notice a difference sound and feel wise, even at beginner level, but $150 is rather expensive for a decent one!

I find it hard to believe that a beginner has the sensitivity to detect subtle differences in ligatures. They are still in the stage that when something changes in the sound, they don't know whether it is them or the instrument.

Speaking as an ex beginner I have noticed such differences quite clearly between my first Rovner Dark ligature and a Rico H ligature I acquired a few weeks later. I am sure that many beginners have normal hearing and can recognise different sounds - my wife could tell the difference and she does not even play a sax.

Maybe the differences are not that subtle for some people, but most folks hearing is pretty normal, and does seem better the less exposure to loud music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Mapfumo, are you implying that anyone who disagrees with you on the subject of ligatures is suffering from hearing damage due to exposure to loud music? And if so, can you please provide evidence to support your hypothesis..

Mr Mapfumo, are you implying that anyone who disagrees with you on the subject of ligatures is suffering from hearing damage due to exposure to loud music? And if so, can you please provide evidence to support your hypothesis..

Not at all, Mr Altissimo!

I am curious as to why there is such a split in the field re ligatures and openly speculate as to possible reasons. Those that "hear" no difference often suggest that others do not hear honestly - buying something costly and then trying to hear a better sound than is produced by some standard cheapo lig.

In discussion I do often notice that several tenor players who also perform live a lot say that they do not hear a difference and that makes me curious. I mainly play alto and soprano sax and am not into playing live, and my work involves very careful and clear listening. I don't know what difference I would hear if I was blasting the music out and competing with several other loud electrified instruments - presumably why many musicians can happily play a cheapo sax rather than a more precious one that might get damaged or stolen in that particular environment.
End of the day the subject is not that important to me and I would always prefer to use my time in other ways than researching such things!

I am sorry if my curiosity and speculation sounds so controlling - I don't think you have heard what I am saying clearly enough.

Kind regards
Tom :sax::gathering::gathering::gathering::gathering:

I am curious as to why there is such a split in the field re ligatures and openly speculate as to possible reasons. Those that "hear" no difference often suggest that others do not hear honestly - buying something costly and then trying to hear a better sound than is produced by some standard cheapo lig.

Can I dare to say that some mouthpiece/reed/player combos are more sensitive to different ligatures, assuming the ligature actually does the job it is suppose to do (seal, not just look cool)?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom