support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Alto and the blues.

Rock Lobster

I had a secret plan to move from Alto to Tenor because I wanted to play the blues. A key part of my plan was carried out a few weeks ago in a saxophone shop where I tried a selection of tenor's. It was great but you know what, I think I am an Alto player. The teno's felt just like I thought they would but somehow it;s not the same.

Here's the thing, I have never seen a player in a rock or blues band playing an alto, if blues is my thing must I play tenor or should I stop worrying about it and get out and play alto and stop being so precious about it?

Who plays the blues on alto anyway, anyone I can listen to?

All help gratefully recieved.

What they all said. Also listen to Pete Thomas playing Slinky (amongst others) on alto

What you really need is more saxophones. Alto is great but it's not a tenor. And they're both great but can't do what a baritone does. And who wants to play alto tenor and baritone and not have a soprano. And who can decide between curly and straight? No one, so get both.

Seriously though...Blues is what you play, not what you play it on imho. Blues has a long tradition of being played on home made instruments. I've heard comb and paper trump the whole band and who was that guy that played a one string guitar.

Blues, played well, sounds real easy to play and granted it's not as mathematically complicated as jazz but to sound good you need to listen, practice and develop your sound and style.

What you really need is more saxophones. Alto is great but it's not a tenor. And they're both great but can't do what a baritone does. And who wants to play alto tenor and baritone and not have a soprano. And who can decide between curly and straight? No one, so get both.

Seriously though...

You mean that wasn't serious? It is to me.

I tend to agree that you can take to one instrument more than others. I have a soprano and it never comes out of the case probably got less than two hours on it, I just can not get on with it. I'd sell it but the scrap value of brass needs to go up if the last offer I had is anything to go by.:(

As well as the great blues alto players listed above, Pete Brown played fine blues. Here he is with Champion Jack Dupree: nice solo from 1:25 onwards:

And you can't beat Louis Jordan for great blues sound and feeling.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite sure my gorgeous alto is capable of playing any type of music it's just the organic matter hanging on to it that has the problem ......stick to the alto its the only true way .....the others are just for playing with .......you know it makes sense .....John