support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Alto and Tenor Mouthpiece tip openings

Jobylou

Locality
Chipping Campden
Hiya
I wasn't sure where to post this but thought this would be as good a place as any!
I am curious to know whether people stick to relatively similar tip openings with different saxophones?

I currently play:
ALTO: Meyer 7m Rubber (81)
TENOR: Vandoren Java T45 (90)

I think the alto is a fairly open piece and the tenor more closed, these are just mouthpieces that I have bought and play, there is no real logic behind them! I am wondering if I might benefit from a more open piece on Tenor. I enjoy playing Jazz, Blues and Swing mostly.

I was wondering what other people play - just curious!
Thanks
Jo

I'm a total beginner so take what I say with a pinch of salt...

My tenor (a Yani T800) came without a mouthpiece so I bought a new Yani 8 (100) metal mpc (actually I bought a 7 on ebay but the guy sent me an 8). I found this a bit of a struggle so I bought a s/h Yani 6(085) which wasn't much different to be honest.

I then got a s/h Jody Jazz DV NY 7(101) and it was just so easy to blow in comparison and I found easier to get good tone, so that's what I'm sung now with Rico Jazz Select 2M reeds. I think this is classed as an 'open' mouthpiece.

Having been through the gear acquisition thing on other instruments, I'd say find something that works and stick with it, best thing would be to take your sax to the shop and try some more open pieces and see what happens, if something really grabs your attention then go for it.

I didn't do this because as a total beginner I didn't think I would get much out of trying to blow lots of different mouthpieces. Having been incredibly blown away by the Jody Jazz though I probably wouldn't be so shy now :)

I generally favour open mouthpieces. It's a help when playing loud rock and blues, which I what I seem to be doing mostly at the mo. I tend to close up somewhat if playing classical but practising Bach on a very open rock and roll tenor mouthpiece is very good for your control and stamina.

PPT Onxite for tenor, but I also have another ten mpcs for tenor (!) and on alto Selmer 5** silver plate but again I have many more do it allows me to switch for a little variety! Also different mpcs for different horns.

Actually I have got a Jody Jazz HR 6* (tip opening 95), but it plays very sharp - to get it in tune it is right at the end of the neck and a bit wobbly, so I have left it alone for now.

i prefer openish mpc's on sop and alto 0.070 and 0.090 but much closer on tenor 0.105,but its all about what works for you.

i prefer openish mpc's on sop and alto 0.070 and 0.090 but much closer on tenor 0.105,but its all about what works for you.

That's interesting :)
I'm not sure what works for me best, but I guess if it ain't broke...

Rico Graftonite and Metalite mouthpieces are incredible value for money and cost peanuts, so you can afford to experiment. There are lots of comments online to give an insight into what to expect.

I have had a Graftonite A5 for some time and recently got a Metalite M5. I'm very pleased with them.

That's interesting :)
I'm not sure what works for me best, but I guess if it ain't broke...
Its basically if what you play is close to the sound you have in your head.
I found open mouthpieces worked better for me on alto which is my main horn and produce the sound i want in both registers,sometimes a mpc might work well in lower register but not in the higher one,its all trial and error,but you will know when its right.

My alto pieces are M and A2. My Tenor is a B2. Don't you just love vintage pieces? The bari is a bit more orthodox, an 80's S80C* and I'm still happy(ish) with the Bari esprit for sop. The numbers go up on the reeds with the increasing size of the sax. 1.5 on sop 2/2.5 on alto, 2.5/3 on tenor and a 4 on bari.

I love the big warm lush sound of them, but can't stand the narrow tips.

On alto I swap between a 5 and an 8, on similar mouthpieces (Pillinger NYA and his copy of my Meyer NY) for different jobs.
8 requires more developed chops.
On tenor I play glorious 9 facings. On closer tips I have no fun, but there is no rule. Sometimes I also play a Link 11: very demanding.

It seems there isn't a right answer

On alto I swap between a 5 and an 8, on similar mouthpieces (Pillinger NYA and his copy of my Meyer NY) for different jobs.
8 requires more developed chops.
On tenor I play glorious 9 facings. On closer tips I have no fun, but there is no rule. Sometimes I also play a Link 11: very demanding.

That's what I call. Making yourself indispensable. Or perhaps another term could be. Professional .

Sorry. Meant to sound reassuring but ended up condescending

Me: alto Selmer E for many years then Claude Lakey 5*3 just 'cos man in shop suggested it. At the same time I bought a tenor and took a Claude Lakey 7*3 off of same geezer

Pootled along then stopped playing then on taking up sax again and finding this site I realised the embarassment of choice and confusion out there

Still on Claude Lakey on Alto which I don't play enough to want to explore a change

On tenor I tried a Metalite Rico M7... too stuffy then tried two Pillinger ebonites, went for 7*W then PPT 8* for xmas. When I play them Pillinger has a more mellow tone while the PPT cuts through loud amplified instruments

Recently took up baritone, I have a Rico Metalite M9 that's easy to play but sounds a bit stuffy and enjoying Pillinger 7 much more

Overall Dr PIllinger makes exceedly fine mouthpieces and is a good person to turn to if you have mouthpiece indecision