support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner When is the right time to learn Altissimo?

ken24

As I am still a month into the journey, when is the right time to learn altissimo? Do I need to have a special setup in order for me to reach them? I hear a lot of people say that you have to have the right mp to reach those notes.

A good rule of thumb is to wait until you have a good command of the regular range of the saxophone from low Bb to high F above the staff. No it does not take "special" equipment, however some mouthpieces make the altissimo register a bit more accessible due to their design which favors the higher frequencies.

Also altissimo is mostly needed (if needed) for soloist work.
When the need arises,, it is time to work on it.

Other exercises to develop the sound can be done, that will help in future with the altissimo range.

Thank you for your comments guys! I have this song that I want to learn that has some really high notes on it. Anyways, the song itself is pretty difficult for my level so it's not like I can play it anyway.

On the other hand, since you told me to take command of the sax's basic range, I find particularly hard to produce a stable sound on the low C to low Bb..I use a 2.5 Vandoren reed. They say it makes it hard to get the low notes with that reed strength while the lighter strength struggles in high notes. Is there a particular technique that can help me overcome these low notes or it just comes?

Is there a particular technique that can help me overcome these low notes or it just comes?
There is. It is sadly called "long notes".
G_______________ F#________________
F#______________ F________________

and so on.

On the other hand, since you told me to take command of the sax's basic range, I find particularly hard to produce a stable sound on the low C to low Bb..I use a 2.5 Vandoren reed. They say it makes it hard to get the low notes with that reed strength while the lighter strength struggles in high notes. Is there a particular technique that can help me overcome these low notes or it just comes?

Slurring down to the note you want to work on and then holding it as a long tone is a good way to develop control in the low register. Essentially it is about keeping the embouchure firm, keeping the back of the tongue down, keeping the throat open and relaxed (think first part of a yawn) and using lots of warm air. It is essential that there are no leaks in the saxophone. Have it checked if you are not sure.

Last edited:
It is essential that there are no leaks in the saxophone. Have it checked if you are not sure.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a repairman as of yet. My low notes' sound is really wobbly, like I am on a vibrato except that it is a terrible sounding one. Is this because of my technique or a sax that is leaking?