Altissimo, finally

Alistair,
Thanks a lot. I went straight out and got this book and read it last night. I love it, just what I have been looking for.

I really like the way it breaks down your tone production to each of the influencing factors. Working from the abdomen up through the air column (lungs, larynx, tongue, embouchure,). It is now easy to create a check list to work through in your mind before and while practising longtones (or anything else). I am a beginner golfer, same thing feet, hips, relax shoulders, eye on the ball, keep head down,...strike. I guess the point is you check each element is correct and after a while it becomes second nature and you can make your checklist more sophisticated or change other things as you advance.

The other thing that I now appreciate is that practicing overtones, first and foremost really improves your tone production and subtle partial tones to make the notes fuller and more colourful. Then you can use the same techniques to eventually develop altissimo.

Good stuff. Thanks for the advice.:welldone
Cheers,
Alan

Alistair,
Thanks a lot. I went straight out and got this book and read it last night. I love it, just what I have been looking for.
Good stuff. Thanks for the advice.:welldone
Cheers,
Alan

Happy to help... :D

Zippadeedooda! Zippadeeday! My oh my what a wonderful day.

Whoppee! I too have also achieved my first altissimo just like Moz. I took Moz's advice and tried the High D using the G fingering (L1L2L3). After redirecting the air stream over the reed with my tongue, pop out it came. Fluke? I tried it again, there it was. Then I tried Griff's fingering for high E (fF + L2L3) and out that came too. I am so happy. OK like Moz I am still within the normal playing range, but the sound with the altissimo fingering for these notes seems somehow cleaner and brighter and more in tune.

What fun, now to try the higher notes.

Redirecting the air stream over the reed seems to enable lots of different overtones in different fingerings and seems to be an important element in achieving altissimo. Is this correct, or am i developing a bad habit. I have read that altissimo should be achieved more with the larynx(throat). Any ideas?
Cheers,
Alan