All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

(Almost) the first notes on my clarinet ...

jthole

Ok, I am probably going to regret posting this later, because I haven't played clarinet since at least 10 years, apart from some scales and doodling the past weekend ...

but here are the (almost) first notes on my "new" Buffet Crampon (1972). The mouthpiece is the stock (HR) one that came with the clarinet, but I first want some practice time (and a couple of lessons) before I am going to shop for another piece.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/jthole/28576301

And here it is:

jthole

Ugh ... hearing that back; that wasn't very good playing!

I've taken some lessons in the meantime, and had a Ton Kooiman thumb rest installed; big ergonomic improvement!

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Very smooth crossing the break. You must have had good technique before putting it away for 10 years. I know this is quite picky, but I am used to hearing the melody drop down an octave after "Somewhere over the rainbow". You are going down a 10th at that location.

A tip that really helped me to get a good focus and tonal center on clarinet was the suggestion to have the air make the note before it even gets to the clarinet (it works on flute too).
  • Play the note on the clarinet to get the pitch in your mind.
  • Hum that pitch
  • Blow that pitch on your airstream---like an airy sounding whistle
  • Then play the note with the same airstream and shape inside your mouth and throat
My teacher called this "playing on your airstream". You might try this idea to make all of the notes sound as good as your best sounding ones, which by the way sound excellent.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Ugh ... hearing that back; that wasn't very good playing!

I've taken some lessons in the meantime, and had a Ton Kooiman thumb rest installed; big ergonomic improvement!

You'll have to post us another recording now :)

Jx

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom