support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

All The Things You Are

Mark Hancock

Café Supporter
Sounds pretty good to me. I've been planning to propose "All The Things You Are" as a Song of the Month some time soon, so you have beaten me to it! :)

My only comment is that your backing track sounds a little loud to me in comparison to the saxophone.

Did not have time to give full listen and on phone. But this is a very very good start. Tell us about your setups.

Thanks Guys,

My recording setp is:
Large diaphram mic (Thomann SC450)
The mic is directly in front of me, about neck high and looking down slightly.
Presonus Audiobox iTwo and Presonus Studio Artist DAW
I just use the default saxophone eq setting and about 20% medium room reverb.

I also have a Presonus TubePre V2 preamp, but I'm honestly not sure what to do with it. It didn't seem to make much difference when I tried it out,

My instrument is
Yani TWO2,
Syos custom mouthpiece
legere 2 1/4 Signature

I record in a home built practice booth which is fully treated with acoustic tiles and corner traps. It still doesn't sound great in there. I mean, it's great for practice (when using a jazzlabs sax deflector) but there's something unpleasant about the recording. I assume it's the booth, although it could just be the my real tone is worse than what I hear!

A while ago I simplified my improvisations to limit myself to chord tones - it sounds kind of basic to me but at least a bit less random than it was. Now I'm I'm wondering what to work on next! Where could I make the biggest gains???

Thanks again! :)

I also use a booth, and it definately have a negative impact on my sound, a lot of dynamics gets squashed. I think your sound was pleasant, and your focus on time and chord tones also gave something to my listening experience.

I also use a booth, and it definately have a negative impact on my sound, a lot of dynamics gets squashed. I think your sound was pleasant, and your focus on time and chord tones also gave something to my listening experience.

Thanks Caz, I saw your post on the Booth. Mine is very similar. The saxdeflector helps a lot with the sound during practice, but the recording is not still great.

Sounds pretty good to me. I've been planning to propose "All The Things You Are" as a Song of the Month some time soon, so you have beaten me to it! :)

My only comment is that your backing track sounds a little loud to me in comparison to the saxophone.
Yes I have done about 20 recordings and always seem to get the mix a bit wrong. Sax is too loud in some, and too quiet in others. There's only 2 tracks - it shouldn't be that hard, but when listening with earbuds/speakers/headphones it always sounds different....:confused2:

A while ago I simplified my improvisations to limit myself to chord tones - it sounds kind of basic to me but at least a bit less random than it was. Now I'm I'm wondering what to work on next! Where could I make the biggest gains???

These two play my favourite improv on this melody. We can all learn a little from the masters

View: https://youtu.be/12Ahmng5ee0

View: https://youtu.be/LDjTc8GzstQ

Sticking to chord tones will give you the ribs of a tune. Joining them up and extending them in a melodic way will add the sinews and tendons but to really flesh it out you need to compose a melody of your own. Once you've done this, you can weave some magic of your own and dress the whole thing in a cloak of music. A few thousand times through and your ideas will start to present and string themselves together.

There are many different arrangements for any tune. There's lots of ways to harmonise a melody,just like there's lots of ways to get from A to B. Go the scenic route.

Back
Top Bottom