Tutorials

All The Things You Are

Mark Hancock

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Sounds pretty good to me. I've been planning to propose "All The Things You Are" as a Song of the Month some time soon, so you have beaten me to it! :)

My only comment is that your backing track sounds a little loud to me in comparison to the saxophone.

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Did not have time to give full listen and on phone. But this is a very very good start. Tell us about your setups.
Thanks Guys,

My recording setp is:
Large diaphram mic (Thomann SC450)
The mic is directly in front of me, about neck high and looking down slightly.
Presonus Audiobox iTwo and Presonus Studio Artist DAW
I just use the default saxophone eq setting and about 20% medium room reverb.

I also have a Presonus TubePre V2 preamp, but I'm honestly not sure what to do with it. It didn't seem to make much difference when I tried it out,

My instrument is
Yani TWO2,
Syos custom mouthpiece
legere 2 1/4 Signature

I record in a home built practice booth which is fully treated with acoustic tiles and corner traps. It still doesn't sound great in there. I mean, it's great for practice (when using a jazzlabs sax deflector) but there's something unpleasant about the recording. I assume it's the booth, although it could just be the my real tone is worse than what I hear!

A while ago I simplified my improvisations to limit myself to chord tones - it sounds kind of basic to me but at least a bit less random than it was. Now I'm I'm wondering what to work on next! Where could I make the biggest gains???

Thanks again! :)

Caz

I also use a booth, and it definately have a negative impact on my sound, a lot of dynamics gets squashed. I think your sound was pleasant, and your focus on time and chord tones also gave something to my listening experience.

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

I also use a booth, and it definately have a negative impact on my sound, a lot of dynamics gets squashed. I think your sound was pleasant, and your focus on time and chord tones also gave something to my listening experience.
Thanks Caz, I saw your post on the Booth. Mine is very similar. The saxdeflector helps a lot with the sound during practice, but the recording is not still great.

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Sounds pretty good to me. I've been planning to propose "All The Things You Are" as a Song of the Month some time soon, so you have beaten me to it! :)

My only comment is that your backing track sounds a little loud to me in comparison to the saxophone.
Yes I have done about 20 recordings and always seem to get the mix a bit wrong. Sax is too loud in some, and too quiet in others. There's only 2 tracks - it shouldn't be that hard, but when listening with earbuds/speakers/headphones it always sounds different....:confused2:

Ne0Wolf7

I really like your tone. I must agree with Nigel that the backing track is too loud. I thought your improve was quite nice as well.
Bonus points for choosing one of my favorite songs :)

Colin the Bear

A while ago I simplified my improvisations to limit myself to chord tones - it sounds kind of basic to me but at least a bit less random than it was. Now I'm I'm wondering what to work on next! Where could I make the biggest gains???
These two play my favourite improv on this melody. We can all learn a little from the masters

View: https://youtu.be/12Ahmng5ee0

View: https://youtu.be/LDjTc8GzstQ

Sticking to chord tones will give you the ribs of a tune. Joining them up and extending them in a melodic way will add the sinews and tendons but to really flesh it out you need to compose a melody of your own. Once you've done this, you can weave some magic of your own and dress the whole thing in a cloak of music. A few thousand times through and your ideas will start to present and string themselves together.

There are many different arrangements for any tune. There's lots of ways to harmonise a melody,just like there's lots of ways to get from A to B. Go the scenic route.

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Thank you @Colin the Bear , I never heard that version before. It sounds so natural the way those guys play. I sound like I'm tripping over myself! But right, a few more hundred runs through it.....

Top Bottom