Tutorials

alergic to reeds ????

tom9437

Hi all has anyone here ever had a reaction to wood reeds?. Is it possible to all of a sudden have a reaction to reeds?. I have for about the last 3 months had a really itchy roof of the mouth and its getting worse and i think its my reeds thats the cause??????? I do keep all parts in clean order infact imaculate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pee Dee

What makes you think it could be reeds? Do you smoke? Do you eat too hot curries? Do you drink Camp Coffee?

Get down the doc's pronto!!

Justin Chune

I've know people who are allergic to reeds and it is usually their lips that are affected with a rash etc. A change to synthetic reeds solved the problem. First, though, I think you should follow Pee Dee's advice and consult your doctor.

Jim.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My son keeps getting something like this with his clarinet. But in his case I think it is due to lack of care/cleaning. The docs didn't say anything except take a break. His teacher said maybe herpes. And we needed to be careful. Some of it is abrasion from not smoothing his reeds off properly before playing.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I had a pretty similar thing about a year ago- I started to find using laVoz reeds on my soprano gave me a really itchy, irritated bottom lip. I moved over ot using plasticovers for a while and (oddly) now i've gone back to LaVoz with no problems. Absolutely no idea why. Go figure- as they say in the States...

OP
T

tom9437

Hi thanks all, pee dee also thanks for the concern. I have been to the docs 4 times in the past few months and also the dentist who gave me a clean bill of health and it was both the doc and dentist that say its a reaction to something but they dont have a clue what. But then i noticed that each time it eased off. I then noticed that after playing it got really itchyso thats why i think its reeds. Yes it was the last thing i thought of too. But i have spoke to Dawkes Music today and they are sending me a solution to spray on the m/p and on my reeds and see how that goes.So i will keep you in touch.But thank you all very much Tom.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom