support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones AKG C519ML clip on microphone

Martin

I'm planning to get a wired, clip on mic, for use on both my tenor and alto. The AKG C519ML looks appealing. Does any one have experience with it?

One thing I like about it is that it plugs into a phantom power adaptor (AKG MPAVL), worn on your belt, which appears to incorporates an on/off switch, so that if necessary, during a gig, I will be able to switch off for a moment if I need a moment of privacy, say, to find the key. The Shure 98H/C, which is the other mic I've been considering, doesn't appear to have a switch.

The other thing that I like is that it has the mini XLR connector which will plug into a wireless transmitter, if I choose to go wireless in the future.

Waiting for your opinions and suggestions.

Martin

Hi Martin,
Have a look at my post on the 14th of August last year. Horns & Accessories page 15. a volume control is better than an on off switch! I would add a cable tie at the top of the strap so that the lead comes over the shoulder

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Martin,
Have a look at my post on the 14th of August last year. Horns & Accessories page 15. a volume control is better than an on off switch! I would add a cable tie at the top of the strap so that the lead comes over the shoulder

John.

Hi John,

That looks like a really useful bit of kit. Depending on what set up I decide on, I may incorporate it.

Cheers,
Martin

The beauty of it is that you can turn it right down to get the key (they never tell me what they're playing or the key), and have someone in the audience to indicate if you need more or less volume. The Spanish are very quick to tell me I need more volume, they don't have too loud over here :)))

John.

I'm just comparing the frequency response of the AKG C519 (60hz to 20khz), with that of the Shure Beta 98 (20hz to 20khz).

Can anyone tell me if the difference in bottom end will be noticed on tenor and alto.

I like the AKG because it can be supplied with a belt pack to supply phanton power, but the Shure wins on frequency response...so how important is the difference in bottom end response?

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have been using this microphone for the last 3 years now, and i can honestly say that i have never had a single issue with it. Picks up the frequencies fine and i feel presents my true tone.

Overall i'm very happy with it and would always recommend it.

Jamie.

I've tried many clip mic... I definitely don't like the AKG's: they are too bright, very hyped on mid-hgh frequencies.
Other bad thing: they pickup all the keywork noises.
The C519 works very well on low brass, but on the sax... :blush:

Choosing the right mic for you is like choosing a good mouthpiece.
I've ended I prefer natural sounding mic and considering clip mic I prefer not to have the keywork noises in the sound (I don't want to hear "dun dun" at every note I play).

There few microphones they don't pickup the noises... I've tested: Audio Technica ATM 350, Samson HM40P, Shure Beta98 with A98KCS (not the standard Beta98 H/C), AMT and SD System mics: those mics don't pickup the "dun dun".
I like more the AudioTechnica because IMHO is the most neutral mic... and you can threat the mic sound to get any sound you want.
The Samson is somehing like the AT, maybe it's the AT Pro35 only marked "Samson".
The Shure works well for pop playing, it's on the bright side... it cuts well through but you need a skilled sound guy to manage it at its best with the ATM350 you almost plug the mic into the mixer and all is done.

Hi Martin,

I have been using this microphone for the last 3 years now, and i can honestly say that i have never had a single issue with it. Picks up the frequencies fine and i feel presents my true tone.

Overall i'm very happy with it and would always recommend it.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

That sounds like a good recommendation. I've placed my order for one. I also ordered the battery pack, to supply phantom power, so that I don't have hassle plugging in to different systems. The battery pack has a volume control too, which will be useful. Just have to wait until it arrives...

Cheers,
Martin

Martin I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts when you've had a chance to play around with this mic set-up. One thing that I find with my mic which is an unheard of brand and carries it's own built in battery belt pack, is that when I turn it on and the gain is up on the PA, you get a loud pop through the system. It's something to look out for.

There's another thread somewhere about the JTS wireless clip-on, but the details are here - http://www.jts.com.tw/_en/01_professional/00_list.php?cccid=101

I've been using this for 6 months now and continue to be impressed by it. Apart from being ridiculously cheap, it's well-built, utterly reliable, and I prefer the sound quality it gives to that of the SM57. It has an on-off facility on the transmitter which operates completely silently. Yes, like most clip-ons, it will pick up faint key noises but whether that's an issue for you depends on the stuff you are playing and how many instruments you are competing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts when you've had a chance to play around with this mic set-up. One thing that I find with my mic which is an unheard of brand and carries it's own built in battery belt pack, is that when I turn it on and the gain is up on the PA, you get a loud pop through the system. It's something to look out for.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on with it.

Martin

Joel, are you sure? I think lowest note on a tenor is about 208Hz. While Bass would be about 104.
Ouch. brain failure. Sorry, I was off by an octave.

The tenor sax sounds an octave and major second (whole tone) below written pitch. So low Bb (just below written middle C) corresponds to concert Ab2 which is 103.83Hz and an octave and two tones below concert middle C (C4 on a piano).

See http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html.

Bass sax will be an octave lower (52Hz).