support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories AKG C519m does it need battery or phantom power?

I have googled before asking on here.
Will I be able to use this 'as is' or will I need a battery pack or whatever?
I think it will need phantom power from your preamp or mixer.

This mic is not something I would recommend anyway unless you really need a cardioid clipon for whatever reason. In my experience they never work well on saxophones IMO unless there is a niche reason for it being both cardioid and so close to the low notes of the instrument all the time. That could be choreography or having to deal with excessive stage volume.

Last edited:
It's very rare to find a venue that doesn't have a desk that can send phantom power, but I always bring a cheap behringer phantom power box with me just in case. This plugs into the mains, has an XLR connection in and out and can send 48V or 12V to a microphone. And yes, choreography (of the loosest sort) and excessive stage volume are very much the reason for me using a clip-on! In an ideal world, I'd have a Beyerdynamic M88 on stage (recommended by a BBC tech for saxes), but it would be totally impractical in a rock and roll setting.

I use a similar mic (actually a cheap copy of one of the AKG drum mics) when playing sax in the rock band. I tend to angle the gooseneck so it's not pointing directly into the bell but slightly towards the sax body. Not the best "studio" sound, but I find it way better than trying to play into a vocal mic on a stand. I mostly play guitar in that band, just picking up the sax for the odd song or sometimes just part of a song - the clip-on mic makes it a lot less faff IMO.

I've never come across anywhere using a PA with no phantom power support, but I suppose a battery box like tommoh suggested could be a good backup.

Back
Top Bottom