PPT mouthpieces

Wind Controller Akai EWI USB wind controller

Isn't the £299 item the non sound model. Mind you I'm not impressed with the inbuilt patches, so you will have to have a sound module or a MIDI system on your computer.
Have a 4000S and it is different from a sax in that the touch pieces are touch sensitive and octave control is via rollers controlled by the left thumb. By the time you've shelled out for the EWI, decent patches and a sound system it will be cheaper to get a Bauhaus.
If you ever get down to the Smoke, pm me and you are welcome to try mine. That nice Mr. Thomas has a Yamaha and Young Col and Smiffy have had a go on mine, so they might chip in.

Ive already got a full studio setup, and I use Steinberg V-Stack to run Vsti's for my live keyboards so no Shelling out to do there. The Ewi USb comes with a set of vst patches and an editor so lots to play with, although I already have Saxlab which has some very realistic sax and flute patches. I just love the idea of being able to play non wind instrument patches through this controller too, hours of fun and the bonus of headphone through my system for hours of scale paractice.

I was mainly wondering how these controllers go on for tracking, how accurate are they at speed ? and are there any quirks that need to be watched for?

Cheers for the offer of trying yours, Ill take you up on that if Im down that way some time, would be nice to meet up.

Flipp

Tracking means something to me in typesetting but not in MIDI or music.

You must keep both thumbs in contact at all times but any other finger contact will affect note so you can't use Pete's Sax o' Glue technique. Can have fun glissing over eight octaves with the left thumb or semitones or tones with right thumb.

Had some amusement out of using for front line trad stuff and mainstream/East and West coast styles. Have you thought of using the Yamaha wind controller if you can plug it in, as Yammie no longer seem to include WC Input on keyboards or sound modules. Heard good reports but the funny thing is it seems to give better results using the MIDI B inputs on my 9000 Pro than the A. Can't make it out.

Just an afterthought, if you play keyboard, what about a MIDI accordion? Could get more expensive than a MK Vl. :)

midi tracking is how acurate the controller follows the speed of your playing, basically can it keep up with the notes or does it miss now and then on fast stuff, are there any noticable lags with the responce (ignoring Soundcard latency that is).

I had a Yamaha breath controller years ago which I put to good use with my old DX7, lots of fun.

Hi

Has anyone got or had experience of the Akai EWI USB wind controller, Im really tempted to get one, it would suit me perfect for my needs. It seems a steal at £299, Im saving for a tenor but may well invest in one of these instead.

cheers

Flipp
Slightly hijacking your thread, but hopefully the answers to my question will help answer your question

I have bought an EWI USB in an attempt to placate my neighbours who don't like the dulcet tones of my sax

I've tried to get on with the EWI but I can't. It doesn't feel right, I can't seem to get rid of the delay between fingering a note and hearing the note played, and everything I played sounds like it's played on a recorder by a drunk gorilla (apologies to any gorilla on the forum)

Does anyone have any tips? I'm about ready to give up and sell it

Slightly hijacking your thread, but hopefully the answers to my question will help answer your question

I have bought an EWI USB in an attempt to placate my neighbours who don't like the dulcet tones of my sax

I've tried to get on with the EWI but I can't. It doesn't feel right, I can't seem to get rid of the delay between fingering a note and hearing the note played, and everything I played sounds like it's played on a recorder by a drunk gorilla (apologies to any gorilla on the forum)

Does anyone have any tips? I'm about ready to give up and sell it
That'll be to do with your computer's sound card and drivers.. update everything, make sure you're plugged into the fastest USB socket (USB 2 if possible)

The EWI 4000S has no latency at all and has the big advantage of being a self-contained instrument, requiring no connection to a computer or external sound unit. Since the recent inception of the newer model EWI 5000 and you might be able to find a EWI 4000s second hand for sale from those upgrading and it may not cost you much more than the £299 of the EWI USB...

The EWI 4000S has no latency at all and has the big advantage of being a self-contained instrument, requiring no connection to a computer or external sound unit. Since the recent inception of the newer model EWI 5000 and you might be able to find a EWI 4000s second hand for sale from those upgrading and it may not cost you much more than the £299 of the EWI USB...
This sounds perfect for me, looking for a wind controller for practising my saxophone playing quietly. Doe