support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Ahhhhhh Headache

Safergas

Hi Folks
My head hurts never played the Sax just really fancy it. Now I don't know if I should start with the Alto or Tenor? Which models to buy there are 50 million of them on ebay. Items listed here in the forumn are they more likely to be decent in good condition...... My brain is mashed after 6 weeks of looking online... any advice for which sax and any teachers in York?
Rob

Welcome Safergas!
CORGI related nickname?

About the saxophone, a couple of details would help in the choice:
1- Do you prefer alto or tenor (or soprano or baritone)?
2- How much are you planning to spend?
3- Are you aware that on this forum there is a proud tradition of going off topic?

Welcome to the cafe:)

My advice would be to go and try a few first you may find a preference for one. You are not a milion miles from Hansons in Marsden or Woodwind Exchange in Bradford. Both have a good reputaton and I can guarantee you won't get any sales pressure at Hansons.

Jx

Hi Folks
My head hurts never played the Sax just really fancy it. Now I don't know if I should start with the Alto or Tenor? Which models to buy there are 50 million of them on ebay. Items listed here in the forumn are they more likely to be decent in good condition...... My brain is mashed after 6 weeks of looking online... any advice for which sax and any teachers in York?
Rob
I suggest you meet up with a real live player or teacher before buying anything. You can get stung on the Net by unscrupulous sellers. You cant expect to make an informed choice with no experience of the instrument. Musicians are mainly a friendly, helpful bunch and will help you find something appropriate. Online reviews aren't all helpful or accurate. Second hand can be bargain or liability, you dont want to invest in a potential huge repair bill; get someone local to help you.

Bear in mind that the majority of sax players started with instruments that were (in retrospect) absolute crap! Not that you should inflict rubbish on yourself unnecessarily but don't get too hung up about what to buy and then spend six months suffering from buyers remorse.

Find a good dealer - I haven't lived in the UK for many years but I do find Sax Co UK very helpful when I visit and by mail order. Then, try a few out - or let the guy in the store do so - and pay the price you can afford for the one you like.

Soprano, alto, tenor or baritone? Personally I would steer clear of soprano and baritone - soprano too hard and, like the bari, of relatively limited use when you want to start playing with others. No way I would have got my first gig if I had been playing sop or bari.

Alto or tenor - depends who you like and want to model yourself on. Personally I prefer tenor, although I also love my alto and soprano. I actually regard them as almost different instruments.

I guess what I'm saying is - in a more long-winded way - what Kev posted in the first reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks
Rob

Hi Rob,
Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion, mine may help.You may well be off hiring one first as is mentioned above, as the store normally knock the hire charge off the cost if you decide to buy the horn.
You may find an alto easier to handle to start with, they normally take less effort to blow, and are easier to get your fingers around if you have small hands.
It would be worth going to a store to pick two or three up just to get a feel for the instrument, the staff are normally more than helpful if they think they will get a sale !
I would avoid ebay to start with unless you really know what you are looking for.
Hope that helps, have fun.

Good luck

Here I go again. Gear4music are based in York. I play their basic models. Give them a ring and maybe book a viewing.

However for your very first instrument I would go down the rental route. It's easier to change or back out if you're renting and if you decide to buy the one you're renting, it's already partially paid for.

Some people are happy with one saxophone and stick with that. Many, myself included, feel they must have a set.

They are all similar but feel very different to play. The physical characteristics of one of the instruments may suit your physical characteristics and one will pick you.

A teacher is a good idea and talking to an experienced saxophonist who is used to starting players off may answer questions you didn't even know you had.

Have a look in the Directory on this site.

Your local adult education centre may have information about groups and people to talk to.

Here is a current list of Saxophone teachers in North Yorkshire: http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/search?mode=submit&type=1&keywords=&instrument=sax&region=48

I am wondering if there is anyone on the forum near York who could offer a couple of hours of their time to show them an alto and tenor sax and help the new member decide in a practical way which sax would suit? If I was oop there I would gladly help.

Some folks do start on a soprano sax - such as Jeanette and myself - I loved Jan Garbarek and was very motivated so to do. The main issue is that the larger the sax the bigger the room for error. Hence baritone can sound less out of tune than the tenor, which can sound less out of tune than the alto, which can sound less out of tune than a soprano etc. It does not mean that you cannot sound great on any of them but the alto and tenor saxes probably have the widest choice of music and playing opportunities.

Current low end sax recommendations include Gear4Music, Academy Jericho J-6, Hanson, Bauhaus Walstein and John Packer, amongst others. You can also rent a sax for a period if you are uncertain about which to play or whether you want to commit to playing a sax or not.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
Kind regards
Tom

PM sent to OP. I live in York, have a Hanson tenor and a second hand alto, you can call round and have a blow and a chat if you like.

Wowsers!

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. What a great response nice to see such a willingness to help and no one calling me a burk for asking a question that probably has been asked 50k times.

Ok so gear4music possibly worth a visit and a kind person offering to show me what they have near by. So ive got a great starting point hiring maybe a good option as I may get it and think what the hell have I done this is a knightmare...... But hopefully not !

Now if i can figure out how to get into the PM section ill reply to my PM

Cheers
Rob

yes safergas refers to a company I used to run in York and it was gas.

Hi Rob,

Second menu bar down, second item in takes you to private messages!

If you decide to hire and there isn't something near you that gives you the rental back if you buy, sax.co.uk do. They're a huge shop but here in Sussex. They do do rentals by post though....

Almost forgot - WELCOME!!

Back
Top Bottom