support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones aerophone .. hmm....

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
I hate EWIs. I'm too traditional for all of this.
But...
It seems that this revolutionary, saxohphone-like keywork layout equipped mambo jumbo will take me some thought before I start hating it.

But it could be a digital solution for some people so take a look ....

Roland - Aerophone AE-10 | Digital Wind Instrument

If I was a forreal sax player I would be all over it . I would like those sax sounds for my keyboard..I would love to bring a sax player into my band with one of those he would not be such dead space on some tunes. He could play string pads etc. He could do horn sections. Cool instrument that would add value to a sax cat.but for me I can do that on a keyboard I play sax to get a sound I can not get on keys or the electric guitar. And because I love it..

Ok... I thought about it for a few days... and I have placed my pre-order...
Just have to wait until November now...

I love the idea that you can practice with headphones whenever you like. This would swing it for me alone. £649 retail...

Now wouldn't it be great if you could alter the pitch, so If you learned a song in one key, you could change it if playing with others etc.

If anyone gets one, please check this for me. I must admit, I'm really tempted :confused:

Well, it's ordered...GAS attack got the better of me, and It's proving hard to get as much practice as I want to do with the noise of a proper one.

I know it's not going to replace the real thing, but at least when I can't make a lot of noise, I can get the Aerophone out and practice something at least, especially as I'm away a lot at the moment with overnight hotel stays etc.

It might open up a whole new world, only time will tell. Looking forward to trying it...

I know it's not going to replace the real thing, but at least when I can't make a lot of noise, I can get the Aerophone out and practice something at least, especially as I'm away a lot at the moment with overnight hotel stays etc.

That's why I bought the AKAI 5000 in summer.
It's resting unused after taking a Skype-lesson with an EWI-Guru until I find the time to make an auction or put it in Yardsale.
I've learned some things: Consider it as an instrument of it's own. It never will replace any kind of real instrument, it doesn't need keywork that "feels like" saxophone.
For me, I'd rather play Ferling at pppp in a hotel room than play the EWI. It's just not alive.

Cheers, Guenne

For me I can play keyboards so it has littel appeal at the moment . Native instruments has great sax sounds. You should look into them. You just can't get the articulations you can on a sax which is why I am playing the sax....but if you do not have a lot of articulation in your sax playing then that would be a good instrument with native instruments you can get a real sax sound.

Just got mine.
Comes well packed, it has its own pouch inside a transport bag lined with fairly dense foam.

It's very light, easy to handle and (obviously) quite intuitive for a sax player.
One needs to adapt a bit to the shape - it's flatish instead of round and this influences the hands position.

The sounds are of different quality level - sax is so-so in my opinion, clarinet / french horn (and a few others) sound nice. My (chinese) wife even identified immediately the erhu - so it must not be too bad :)
May be it's possible to use a better sound by connecting to a PC...
The output jack is 6.35mm, so it's a no-no for your smartphone headphone.
The input jack is 3.5 mm though.

The factory default comes with too much reverb for my taste, and although it's easy to remove through the menu, it reverts to said default the next time you switch on the aerophone..
Admittedly I jumped in and did not read thoroughly the manual, so I probably missed a few things!

The big advantage though is that it's always available, easy to pick-up and play - my practice training has increased dramatically over the last 2 days :) - and with headphones nobody complains anymore!

I have a AKAI EWI USB not bad, but after a saxophone it's like trying to blow through a sock.

Tell us what is it like to blow.:sax:

Teebones:old:

The output jack is 6.35mm, so it's a no-no for your smartphone headphone.
The input jack is 3.5 mm though.
You can easily get an adapter, a lot of headphones come with one.

I checked the date of the thread expecting it to be 30 years ago...

But seriously, what does this do that the Yamaha WX, Akai EWI et al didn't do ages ago? In fact, a Yamaha WX with a VL synth sounds a lot better than that Roland demo IMO (actually I'd say the internal sounds on my Casio DH100 are almost as good as the Roland!).

I do not understand comparing sounds. It's the quality of the controller that's the question. Personally I would run out and buy Kompleat II for sounds I really want that. is an instrument for people who play the sax who don't have great keyboard skills. But can shred a sax.. instantly gives them access to MIDI controllers and great sounds if they choose to buy them. So the sounds are irrelevant it's the quality of the controller I'm interested in hearing about. For example my favorite keyboard controller is M Audio. You do not even get sounds with that.......... I just got off Skype with a friend of mine keyboard player computer geek and also sax seems I am wrong about it not being a good instrument for keyboard players. He bought one of these and he is totally excited. Normally when he solos he's got the right hand riffing the left hand is on wheels. And a foot on the floor controller and pedals. He says this instrument has an expression controller for one of the thumbs an expression controller for breath as in a sensor. And hand expression controller for the lip. He says it is like having three extra fingers for riffing. A extra hand and sometimes even an extra for expression controllers. It is now his favorite controller for soloing.. mind you it is plugged into his whole system of keyboards and sounds. His only gripe is there are not enough buttons for presets any still has to use his floor controller to change whatever it is he needs to change. He says it is far superior to any wind controller from the past

Last edited:
I do not understand comparing sounds. It's the quality of the controller that's the question.
Completely agree. My remark about the sound was mostly joking - just surprised they didn't use something better in a demo. But I was serious about "is the controller really better than a WX?"

I am being told it is a much better wind controller than any other. I am also told I should not get one until I learn to play the sax and I have my mouth and lip perfected and consistent.. I am still very much a baby on the saxophone

Oh Well...HUGE let down by Gear4Music on this one, so it seems that I wont get it on the Sunday that I paid extra for, not even the Monday, as it seems they don't have it, even though it was showing "In Stock", then, after phoning and cancelling the order, they amazingly find it again! :mad:

The trouble with modern times is we now expect everything "next day" and we get frustrated if it doesn't arrive on time. :(

I remember the times you used to have to allow 28 days for delivery of everything mail order, and then by the time it arrived, you'd forgotten you had ordered it and it was a nice surprise.:D

Try PMT in Norwich:yess:

Same price as Gear4Music

Have you met Sunray he's up your neck of the woods, nice chap and a good horn player as well

Tony :old: