Beginner Aebersold Vol #24: Major & Minor

Chris98

There seems to be a few of us who are planing on getting to grips with this book so maybe it deserves it's own thread.

Jamey Aebersold volume 24: Major & Minor

Free: Jamey Aebersold Jazz Handbook

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Chris98

Chris98

Yes please, a thread dedicated to vol 24. I've just been given a copy and that mountain we spoke about earlier suddenly looks like a sheer cliff face.. I didn't get the demo tracks though, he gave me a CD of the tracks but there's no demo on it. Maybe that would help. My first look through the book tonight was daunting, ( I think I should take up klingon, it would be easier).
Would anyone on here mail me an mp3 of the demo track maybe..
Hi Martin,

I hope you don't mind but I pulled your post from the other thread

My book came with 2 CD's, the first CD is Major and the second is Minor, the demo is track 16 on the second CD. I wasn't expecting a demo track as I'd have thought it would be at the beginning not the end, but thankfully ManEast pointed out it's existence.

All the best,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Early days but do you think I'm going along on the right lines?

All the best, and thanks for your help,

Yes you are ...just keep it up, and also tie in your tracks.
i.e. C Major with D minor. F Major with G minor. A Major with B minor.
When you play slow Listen to your sound and see if you can make it sweeter.
whan you play fast try to make sure its clean.
Idea's for Inprov will come. but you have to feel at home with the Shape of the scale. When you feel you can motor over a track with scale's, start to build by playing more random riff's/licks/lines just anything off the top of your head But from the note's within the scale.

Cover the whole range of your sax.
Hi ManEast,

You are being a great help, I really appreciate it.

One question for you, I'm looking at page 41, Bb instrument chord progressions, track #1. The first bar has the C major scale written out and the second bar has the D minor (Dorian) scale written out, above that it has in a box: D-/G I presume the D- refers to the D minor scale but I don't get where the G fits in. Is the G the dominant 7th, Myxolydian scale?

Am I being incredibly dense?

I fear Vol 24 might need it's own thread!

All the best,

Chris

MartinL

Hi Martin,

I hope you don't mind but I pulled your post from the other thread.

My book came with 2 CD's, the first CD is Major and the second is Minor, the demo is track 16 on the second CD. I wasn't expecting a demo track as I'd have thought it would be at the beginning not the end, but thankfully ManEast pointed out it's existence.

All the best,

Chris
No problem at all Chris, I'm just downloading and printing the handbook you gave the link for...

I'll get there..

now to go and play track 16, LOL

ManEast

Hi ManEast,

You are being a great help, I really appreciate it.

One question for you, I'm looking at page 41, Bb instrument chord progressions, track #1. The first bar has the C major scale written out and the second bar has the D minor (Dorian) scale written out, above that it has in a box: D-/G I presume the D- refers to the D minor scale but I don't get where the G fits in. Is the G the dominant 7th, Myxolydian scale?

Am I being incredibly dense?

I fear Vol 24 might need it's own thread!

All the best,
===============================================

No not dense...you have to get things wrong to get things right.

That is D- over G NOT G7

Just for now, before you try to freak yourself out with Harmony. Just come to terms with the shape of that scale . just play the C Major Shape
i.e No sharps & no flats. Just play C major like J.A ...One note every 4 beats then one note every 2, then on the beat, then double time & then double that...very very hard that one. but spinch of sax players:w00t: then Play the sh*t out of that shape frome every note in the C major scale...across the whole sax. At the same time also cover D minor.

Then repeat for all other Majors and their Dorian minors

Then after that Its onto basic scale Pattern's i.e cdef/defg/efga/fgab/gabc/abcd/bcde/c/edcb/dcba/cbag/bagf/agfe/gfed/fedc.

Do not beat yourself-up . just one small bite at a time.
Remember the first one is the hard one...the more you do the faster you catch on.

Later you can Look at (2.5.1) (2)minor7 (5)dom 7th (1)Major

(2)D-(5)G7 &(1) CMajor Scales, all have No Sharps or Flats

visionari1

Right Fella's, I looked at my Aebersold Vol 24 this morning and listened to that Demo track it's great. Easy at the begining although it soon gets fast and free rythmically.

I'm willing to put some time into this Vol 24, so how do we help each other go through this book????

If anyone needs that demo track I can send as an MP3 via email.

Sounds like if we really get going on this it could get us somewhere!

What Ya's reckon

Cheers:sax::welldone
Jimu

FastFred

Aebersold books are great but generally lack the basic information of how to use them.

Beware as some of the books talk Bflat scales meaning C (sax) as the sax is a transposing instrument.

MartinL

Right Fella's, I looked at my Aebersold Vol 24 this morning and listened to that Demo track it's great. Easy at the begining although it soon gets fast and free rythmically.

I'm willing to put some time into this Vol 24, so how do we help each other go through this book????

What Ya's reckon

Jimu
Yes please, then maybe I can start to make sense of it too.. :welldone
email martin@mlovatt.co.uk..

Cheers

OP
Chris98

Chris98

No not dense...you have to get things wrong to get things right.

That is D- over G NOT G7

Just for now, before you try to freak yourself out with Harmony. Just come to terms with the shape of that scale . just play the C Major Shape
i.e No sharps & no flats. Just play C major like J.A ...One note every 4 beats then one note every 2, then on the beat, then double time & then double that...very very hard that one. but spinch of sax players:w00t: then Play the sh*t out of that shape frome every note in the C major scale...across the whole sax.
Then after that Its on to basic scale Pattern's i.e cdef/defg/efga/fgab/gabc/abcd/bcde/c/edcb/dcba/cbag/bagf/agfe/gfed/fedc.
Do not beat yourself-up . just one small bite at a time.
Remember the first one is the hard one...the more you do the faster you catch on.

Later you can Look at (2.5.1) (2)minor7 (5)dom 7th (1)Major

(2)D-(5)G7 &(1) CMajor Scales, all have No Sharps or Flats
Hi ManEast,

Your help again is greatly appreciated, and very much needed.

Last night I just concentrated on just the C major scale over track #1, instantly I appreciate my advantage over my Eb brothers and sisters who would be having to contend with that tricky F# >:)

Unfortunately I read your post above after my practice session and looking back over what I had just done, I realised I was trying to dash ahead of myself again. Was I taking it gently as you suggested and build up from one note a bar to two notes and so on? No, I was hoping my fingers would find the right notes and a melody would spring into my head and all of a sudden the sun would shine and beautiful music would pour forth from my sax. Needless to say none of that happened, I flailed around a bit purposelessly and generally felt less than creative, just imagine how any unfortunate soul in ear shot must have felt.

So tonight, heeding your advice I will dial it right back and try and build the foundations first.

Thanks again,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

What Ya's reckon

Jimu
I reckon you might just be right, we could turn this thread into the Vol 24 support group, could always see if we could get official sponsorship from the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive >:)

All the best,

Chris

MartinL

I got home late from work today so I didn't pick up the Sax. Have to think of the neighbours, but I'm sitting here reading the book and a penny dropped..

years ago when I first learnt guitar at school my teacher got me playing four strings in a pattern, 4,1,3,2, in time to the 4,4 beat with the right hand while holding the appropriate chord with the left.. That was the first and simplest version of exactly what we are looking at now....

Why did it take so long to register :D

Pee Dee

There seems to be a few of us who are planing on getting to grips with this book so maybe it deserves it's own thread.

Jamey Aebersold volume 24: Major & Minor

Free: Jamey Aebersold Jazz Handbook
Oh no, not again!
Remember the John O'Neill saga? Anyone finish that book? I haven't, still struggling with the last few pages, fingers ain't fast enough!
Looks pretty good though, if one has the time, and dedication. I think I'll just keep on playing and enjoying:)

ManEast

Vol 24 n More

Wow we have a train.

Fast fred In an ideal world we would all be in the same room. This is best done with a good teacher. J.A is not always that easy to understand.
At the mo I have the time to help and once a student is underway with this one …It will keep them going for a long time and should become an intrinsic part of one's practice regime.

MartinL Have you now got the demo track ?

Pee Dee. You know you want to!
But you will have to dig deep, and I don’t just mean cash for p+p.
Vol 24 is a must have for any (Rock,blues,or Jazz) sax player & in my head more fun than any other C.D book out there, because to me there is nothing more exciting that getting it sorted.

Chris98 Cool !..you are most welcome.

O.k. now obviously I can’t be with you to make sure that your approach to playing your sax is right, so…If you can afford it I strongly suggest you get a copy of this:-
Walter Beasley. Sound Production for The Saxophone.
http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9197&osCsid=bp9ubdjhkqr0o7k1kqpgsq7hu1
Everything I use to teach embouchure breathing and tone production is displayed fantastically in this D.V.D

ManEast.

visionari1

Wow we have a train.

Vol 24 is a must have for any (Rock,blues,or Jazz) sax player & in my head more fun than any other C.D book out there, because to me there is nothing more exciting that getting it sorted.

ManEast.
Having listened to the demo a few times now, it's not going to be a cake walk, however if you want to improvise (well) there's no short cuts, even the masters payed there dues.

Hell..... this is freedom on the sax we're talking about..... to express youself and be creative in the moment, with others making music gotta be worth at least £4.95 p+p.

Wot about the elbow grease and brain power and sense of achievment!!!!!

Fortune favours the brave and the foolish, I put myself in both camps.
Cheers & Ciao

Train coming ....mind the gap!
Jimu:mrcool

Linky Lee

I've got a reasonable amount of free time on my hands for a little while now so really hoping to get some serious woodshedding done. So I'll hop on the train at the next stop please! choo choo! vol. 24 here we come.

visionari1

Welcome aboard Linkey.

Looking at the start of the demo pages 53,54 & 55 Scale practice - Concert Bb

To change to alto playalong in GM
To change to Sop or Tenor playalong in CM.

I've broken up the Demo track into 4 bits that match the various sections, with audacity so I can put into Transcribe and slowdown and loop sections as needed.

1 Scales Pages 53, 54 & 55. 0-7.05min
2 Improvised solo 56, & 57 7.05-9.20min
3 C Major Scale 58 & 59. 9.20- 12.01min
4 B Minor Section 60, 61, 62, & 63. 12.01 -15.45min

#2,3,4 need to be read in the book at either Eb or Bb.

Not sure how to use the rest of this book, but the demo's got heaps of learning in it!

We should post here how we're going with this and tips for others.......

Cheers and Ciao
Jimu:mrcool:sax:

Young Col

Re Chris' request for sponsorship of this thread from CaSLM, there was to be a meeting of the godfather and associates yesterday at a dive bar where they play (?) under the name of the Croydon Old GitS. Unfortunately it was postponed as some members had business to attend to. Nevertheless there has been communication between some of the principals.

It is possible for us to lend our name to your venture but
1. you have to understand that we will deny all knowledge of it, being old fashioned jazzers who thought that jazz was a feeling thing not something learnt from books;
2. in true style we would have to ask for favours to be returned at some point - we may need some people taken care of, or how are you on horses' heads? >:):mrcool

visionari1

It is possible for us to lend our name to your venture but
1. you have to understand that we will deny all knowledge of it, being old fashioned jazzers who thought that jazz was a feeling thing not something learnt from books;

Visionari1
Ah Giday Young Col,
Your not allowed to learn anything from the WWW either, the old masters never had it or needed it!
To listen to them you had to be their, or play with a record player, man you needed to drink a gallon of red eye, walk twenty miles and sweep the gutters, all before you got to the Gig!

2. in true style we would have to ask for favours to be returned at some point - we may need some people taken care of, or how are you on horses' heads? >:):mrcool
Your not a horses head..... your a horses ........

"we may need some people taken care of"
Depends...which people????>:)

Cheers & Ciao:mrcool

SYOS
Top Bottom