SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Advice on choice

Ballymenaboy

I have been looking at both the Jody Jazz HR 6Star and Vandoren V16 S6 soprano mouthpieces and wonder if any members could comment on either or both by way of advice based on experience

altissimo

I've got a Jody Jazz HR 8 and a Vandoren V5 S25 - apart from the difference in tip opening, there's not much between them, they've both got the round squeeze throat design that's common with soprano mouthpieces and they both play really well with a sweet tone.

If I had to pick between them I'd go for the Jody, but not by much and it's only the bigger tip opening that makes me play it more than the Vandoren. An 8 tip on a soprano is bigger than I'd normally want to play, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle, just takes a bit of practice
I've also got an HR Bari sop mouthpiece in a -062 tip and that's nice to play. If I wasn't trying to make myself heard over an energetic drummer I'd use the Bari more since it's easy to play.
At the moment I'm using a Dukoff M7 despite my dislike of Dukoffs.- it's louder and has a medium chamber that feels less restrictive to me. I 'm not mad on the tone of the thing, but I'm less bothered about things like that as I get older

I don't know if the V16 has a bigger chamber than the V5, I've never had a chance to compare them

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

I've got a Jody Jazz HR 8 and a Vandoren V5 S25 - apart from the difference in tip opening, there's not much between them, they've both got the round squeeze throat design that's common with soprano mouthpieces and they both play really well with a sweet tone.

If I had to pick between them I'd go for the Jody, but not by much and it's only the bigger tip opening that makes me play it more than the Vandoren. An 8 tip on a soprano is bigger than I'd normally want to play, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle, just takes a bit of practice
I've also got an HR Bari sop mouthpiece in a -062 tip and that's nice to play. If I wasn't trying to make myself heard over an energetic drummer I'd use the Bari more since it's easy to play.
At the moment I'm using a Dukoff M7 despite my dislike of Dukoffs.- it's louder and has a medium chamber that feels less restrictive to me. I 'm not mad on the tone of the thing, but I'm less bothered about things like that as I get older

I don't know if the V16 has a bigger chamber than the V5, I've never had a chance to compare them
Just now ordered the Jody Jazz -thanks for your advice

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

Received new mouthpiece yesterday and well pleased -playing with d'addario 3m reed and rovner ligature-tremendous difference to my yamaha mouthpiece-beautiful warm tone in lower notes and vibrant right up to altissimo Anyway back to practice as i want to get to Carnegie Hall thanks to those who offered advice

Top Bottom