support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Advice on buying pro soprano?

dansax

Locality
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm looking into buying a new professional soprano sax for music college, and wondered what you thought of my options.

I'm currently looking at these...
Yanagisawa SWO20 (bronze)
Yanagisawa S991
Selmer SA80 series II
Selmer series III

Does anyone have any experience with these models? Any recommendations of others, or what to go for? Can't seem to find opinions on the new Yani SWO range of sopranos. Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Afik the two Selmer are both SA 80, series 2 & 3.

No view, except to say try before you buy.

As Kev said try them out. I have a Yani SC992 (bronze) and it's everything I want or need. Others will have different preferences so my advice is go with what you like best.

Hi guys,
I'm looking into buying a new professional soprano sax for music college, and wondered what you thought of my options.

I'm currently looking at these...
Yanagisawa SWO20 (bronze)
Yanagisawa S991
Selmer SA80 series II
Selmer series III

Does anyone have any experience with these models? Any recommendations of others, or what to go for? Can't seem to find opinions on the new Yani SWO range of sopranos. Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Have you asked any of your tutors for advice? You could also consider Yamaha. Definitely go and try as many as you can :)

Jx

Have you asked any of your tutors for advice? You could also consider Yamaha. Definitely go and try as many as you can :)

Jx

Thanks! - I'll have a look at a Yamaha, perhaps the YSS-875EX? I'm starting music college later this year, but my current teacher plays on a Selmer SA80 II but not too familiar with the Yanis.

Interesting timing. I just did a "play condition" on the first Yani S991 I have come across since there are not many in my area. I have played Selmers, Yamahas, and Cannonballs, but this Yanagisawa was the best soprano I have ever played. The tone was a bit dark, and the intonation was excellent. When I play tested it, I didn't want to put it down.

I have a Selmer SA80 Serie III which is fine and a Yani SC991 which is really good. I have recently switched to playing a Rampone & Cazzani saxello which is really great. You could add that to your list of sopranos to consider and try.

Rhys

I'd get a Rampone & Cazzani. But byour best option is to try some out and see what works for you.

Good evening,

I have tried the 991 and preferred the 981, which is the same but without high G which is pretty useless IMHO, because if you can play it with the key you could also play it with the harmonic fingering.
Great instruments both, but the 981 is cheaper.

Cheers

IMHO the Selmer, Yani, and Yamaha are excellent horns with good ergonomics and good intonation. If you are looking for a horn with better tone (more harmonics and more versatile) then it's hard to beat the R&C. My next best soprano is a 1930s Martin straight sop, but you probably want flash modern ergonomics. The Martin is all about luscious tone.
There's a used bronze R&C on Ebay:
Sax Soprano Rampone Cazzani R1 Jazz Bronzo | eBay
There's also a copper new one:
RAMPONE & CAZZANI Soprano Saxophone - R1 Jazz in SOLID COPPER - Brand New !! | eBay
The Bronze is probably the best (I have a Bronze tenor and it's fantastic). I have a copper soprano (curvy) and it is excellent. I'd certainly recommend either of these if tone is important to you. The price on the new copper one is certainly an excellent buy in my opinion as it's cheaper than you will probably be able to find a Selmer, Yamaha, or Yanagisawa.

I wouldn't even bother to look at the Selmers - the build quality simply isn't up to the price.

The WO series from Yanagisawa is a credible improvement over the excellent 900 series horns - but I'd still strongly recommend a professional set up after purchase.

As Kev said try them out. I have a Yani SC992 (bronze) and it's everything I want or need. Others will have different preferences so my advice is go with what you like best.
I have a Yani SC991U and love it. Finding a good mouthpiece is a bit of a task. I use a Theo Wanne Gaia 2 which is superb, but costs an arm and a leg

I tried out the Rampone and Cazzanis in sax.co.uk a while back and they were noticeably better than the Yanis and the Selmers, Much richer tone. Unfortunately I am not richer, so did not buy, but came close. I now just have a JP 243 one-piece soprano, and can't say I miss the Yani 901 I used to have. Very good horn for a quarter of the price. And I can afford to turn the lights on in my house, buy bread and milk etc.

I try make noise out of a s-901, but I don't have the magic. When I take it out of the case, will say that everything works. Thank God that my show only consist of 20% soprano.. My daughter said that I should X it, but trying to fill the dream.

Back
Top Bottom