support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Advice needed Yas 01 vintage

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Seen one of these advertised and tried a search to find out if they are a good sax, obviously being a yamaha the build quality is going to be good, but what do they play like ?
Anyone had one or tried one ?

Information on the YAS 01 is hard to come by. It apparently was classified as a Q or MQ class instrument (this denotes origin, apparently Indonesia or China, but I am not sure about that) and sold a few years ago. It seems to be off the market. Some question whether it really is a Yamaha. In any case, it appears to have been at the very bottom of the Yamaha range. One opinion I saw said it was "a toy". One sold last August on e-Bay for $AU350.

If you are after a Yamaha, you might want to look also at Yamaha 21s, 23s, 275s, etc. They have a good reputation and could be worth the extra money.

Not tried one. On reading the www.yamaha.com website it does seem to be listed as the "ideal for a beginner" sax - the 1 coming before the 2, then 4, then 6, then 8. In the same system the Yamaha "starter trumpet is a YTR 1335, then YTR 2335, etc. The YAS 275 is the next step up and some people swear by them as a starter instrument, others find them a little pricey for what they are.

Hope this helps
Tom

JOHN TALCOTT R.I.P.

John Talcott

We won't forget all your truly wonderful contributions. Your insight, skill, knowledge, support and humour made the Café a better place. Thank you jbtsax.

See some of John's contributions

Add your message for John and his family

Featured

Back
Top Bottom