All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Advice from Mac users....

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Can I run this one past any Mac experts. I recently sold a Mac laptop on ebay and subsequently had it returned by the buyer for refund. The Mac now fires up with his account loaded up- I’m wanting to resell it now and was wondering what the ‘etiquette’ would be concerning this. I can rename the account something like ‘test account’ but is it still integrally linked to this guy’s email address? If it is- how does one remove their account and reset a Mac (OS10.4) to factory defaults? Any advice appreciated…

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Can I run this one past any Mac experts. I recently sold a Mac laptop on ebay and subsequently had it returned by the buyer for refund. The Mac now fires up with his account loaded up- I’m wanting to resell it now and was wondering what the ‘etiquette’ would be concerning this. I can rename the account something like ‘test account’ but is it still integrally linked to this guy’s email address? If it is- how does one remove their account and reset a Mac (OS10.4) to factory defaults? Any advice appreciated…
If you have the original install CD/DVD, you should be able to use that to format the drive, or if not set it up again from scratch.

Ideally if you are supposed to erase the drive securely, or somebody can still get access to your data that was there. This is in disk utilities erase options then something like erase with zeros 8 times. I think you can do that when booting up from the install CD

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
If you have the original install CD/DVD, you should be able to use that to format the drive, or if not set it up again from scratch.

Ideally if you are supposed to erase the drive securely, or somebody can still get access to your data that was there. This is in disk utilities erase options then something like erase with zeros 8 times. I think you can do that when booting up from the install CD

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Thanks- the disc was fully erased prior to selling it by one of my Mac savvy mates so its only my buyer's info that's there- in this case, solely the log in details...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Thanks- the disc was fully erased prior to selling it by one of my Mac savvy mates so its only my buyer's info that's there- in this case, solely the log in details...
In which case I would just change the email address to a fake one mail@mail.com. Presumably there has to be one or you just erase it.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom