ADSL Broadband Wireless Router - recommendations please

half diminished

I will be leaving BT (don't ask) in a week or so and am looking for a replacement ADSL router.

Any suggestions? I need wireless, firewall, WPA encryption and a built-in hub.

Thanks in advance.

MartinL

I will be leaving BT (don't ask) in a week or so and am looking for a replacement ADSL router.

Any suggestions? I need wireless, firewall, WPA encryption and a built-in hub.

Thanks in advance.
you can reconfigure your BT hub, or I have a Thompson wireless router (as supplied by pipex) that you can have for a minimal donation to Pete.

Any router will need configuring if its not from an ISP though

OP
half diminished

half diminished

you can reconfigure your BT hub, or I have a Thompson wireless router (as supplied by pipex) that you can have for a minimal donation to Pete.

Any router will need configuring if its not from an ISP though
Thanks for the offer. I will ditch anything to do with BT as soon as I can. I am not convinced they haven't done something with the router to 'throttle back' on speed. Also, the interface and configuration options are unwieldy and lousy.

Fritzbox Wlan, or whatever it's called in England.

Make sure your box supports WPA2, even if you only set it on WPA for now.
Yeh I looked at this one but it's quite expensive - £160-£200. Thanks though.

MartinL

Thanks for the offer. I will ditch anything to do with BT as soon as I can. I am not convinced they haven't done something with the router to 'throttle back' on speed. Also, the interface and configuration options are unwieldy and lousy.

Yeh I looked at this one but it's quite expensive - £160-£200. Thanks though.
Well the Thompson is here if you want it. configured for Pipex.

Who are you swapping to, most ISP's provide a pre-configured router when you sign up..

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Well the Thompson is here if you want it. configured for Pipex.

Who are you swapping to, most ISP's provide a pre-configured router when you sign up..
I'm moving to plusnet. I left them under pressure from mrs hd as we were with TalkTalk for phone and they offered free broadband. After that LLU debacle I had to move back to BT but it;s been a nightmare! I was with plusnet originally.

They do supply a router but I don't yet know how good/advanced it is. I was just canvassing views in case I decide to replace it.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I'm moving to plusnet. I left them under pressure from mrs hd as we were with TalkTalk for phone and they offered free broadband. After that LLU debacle I had to move back to BT but it;s been a nightmare! I was with plusnet originally.

They do supply a router but I don't yet know how good/advanced it is. I was just canvassing views in case I decide to replace it.
I left plusnet. Bad useless people. IMO. They once lost my website.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I left plusnet. Bad useless people. IMO. They once lost my website.
Hmm

Well my bro' has used them for 5+ years and he moans all the time - mind you he moans all the time about other stuff too! I was with them for about 3 years before going to TalkTalk and then BT. I would have moaned a bit about plusnet but if they scored 60%, on the same scale TT would get about 5% and BT 2%. TT was so unstable and often didn't work at all. BT managed to get me between 650k and 1.7mb whereas I got a steady 2.2/2.4mb from plusnet and between 0 and 3.8mb from TT.

I am hoping things haven't changed for the worse but am beginning to get that sinking feeling....... :confused: :( :verysad :crying:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I am hoping things haven't changed for the worse but at beginning to get that sinking feeling....... :confused: :( :verysad :crying:
Sorry, I didn't mean to depress you if you have already committed.

I have moaned about all my previous ISPs, first Sonnet, then Internet Central, then Plusnet, then Nildram.

Now I am with Zen who are brilliant, but guess what? They are expensive.
The technical support though is brilliant. They answer quickly and help you beyond the call of duty.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Well plusnet tell me that BT's new 21st Century Network (21CN) is available at my exchange - doh why didn't BT offer that. It's a no cost upgrade 'trial' so I am hoping that I may again reach those heady levels of 2.2 to 3mbs!

Zen is a lot more expensive. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Any other recommendations for ADSL wireless routers?

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Ended up with a Billion BiPac 7800N. Great wireless range/strength and loads of configurability. Stable as anything, speed now around 2mb and looking forward to moving to Century 21 some time soon which could double the speed (I wish!).

OP
half diminished

half diminished

BT - dirty lying robbing b@st@rds

Well, I'm safely back with Plusnet now, for around 3 weeks and all of a sudden my line speed has jumped to 2.3mb.

BT could only manage 1.6/1.7mb and before them both TalkTalk and Plusnet managed around 2.2/2.3.

Totally stable connection and only £5.99 per month. Result!

Top Bottom