All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Adjusting Synthetic Reeds: Legere etc

rhysonsax

Subscriber
With their high cost, you want to get the most out of every synthetic reed you buy. And you don't want to mess up if you try to adjust them.

I have got a couple of Legere Signature tenor reeds that feel a bit too hard - too much air noise and a bit tiring to play as well as the lowest notes being a bit difficult.

Has anyone successfully adjusted these reeds and how did you do it ?

For example, scraping with a blade, using abrasive paper, filing ? How much material to remove and where from ?

Thanks

Rhys

jazzdoh

With their high cost, you want to get the most out of every synthetic reed you buy. And you don't want to mess up if you try to adjust them.

I have got a couple of Legere Signature tenor reeds that feel a bit too hard - too much air noise and a bit tiring to play as well as the lowest notes being a bit difficult.

Has anyone successfully adjusted these reeds and how did you do it ?

For example, scraping with a blade, using abrasive paper, filing ? How much material to remove and where from ?

Thanks

Rhys

Hi Rhys
Yes i have successfully adjusted a Legere Signature and i used a brand new blade from a stanley knife taking off very small amounts at a time,i worked on the area just back from the tip,placing the reed on a piece of flat glass.
I wouldn't recommend using sandpaper,as i have tried that and it messed up the reed and made it a very rough surface.
just be careful to take as little as you can at a time,it might take you a while but its better than ruining a £27 reed.

Brian

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Hi Rhys
Yes i have successfully adjusted a Legere Signature and i used a brand new blade from a stanley knife taking off very small amounts at a time,i worked on the area just back from the tip,placing the reed on a piece of flat glass.
I wouldn't recommend using sandpaper,as i have tried that and it messed up the reed and made it a very rough surface.
just be careful to take as little as you can at a time,it might take you a while but its better than ruining a £27 reed.

Brian

Hi Brian,

That's encouraging. Did you scrape right across the reed, or just at the sides ?

And did you adjust the reed because it was the wrong strength or because it had changed over time ? I find, really strangely, that these Signature reeds play really well at first but then seem to get stronger and duller.

Rhys

jazzdoh

Hi Brian,

That's encouraging. Did you scrape right across the reed, or just at the sides ?

And did you adjust the reed because it was the wrong strength or because it had changed over time ? I find, really strangely, that these Signature reeds play really well at first but then seem to get stronger and duller.

Rhys

Rhys i scrapped across the whole reed working the blade oneway towards the tip,i play open tip mouthpieces and find the weakest strength 2 to be just a fraction hard but you are right they do seem to get harder and duller.
I have now moved onto Hartmann Fiberreed carbons MS and although a little brighter i find them better for me.

Brian

johnboy

Hi Rhys, I expect you've seen my rantings on the subject before and others must be sick of it, but just in case you haven't, here's what I do with my reeds, cane or Fibracell.
Holding the reed up to the light, you see a bullet shape. Using a fingernail emery board, sand the edges and into the center towards the tip, stopping about 12mm. from the tip. Sand to maintain the bullet shape. I usually sand either side about 50 times back and forth. Don't forget to do a corner to corner balance check first, and only sand the stiffer side, until both sides sound the same. Then carry on sanding one side at a time, until satisfied.
I find a fingernail emery board to be the easiest tool to use, because pressure can be applied with the forefinger at the end, just where you need it.
I now use the Ridenour ATG system, because it's neat, quick and easy.

John :);}

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I managed to completely ruin a Legere with a reed clipper. This is something I hope to sit down and discuss with them at Frankfurt this year, maybe try working on a few there at the stand.

If they could bring out a clipper that works it would be fantastic.

AlanU

I really enjoy the Legere reeds on Selmer Soloist alto and Vandoren tenor.

Although I haven't felt the need to reduce the strength of Legere reeds (I suppose I was lucky to have got the right grade) I found the underside to be less than flat.
This I addressed with careful use of 'flour grade' paper on plate glass. It certainly made the reeds more responsive, which might help you with their playability.

Strangely though I can't get the reed to play well on the alto Link STM.
Odd, innit?

johnboy

I really enjoy the Legere reeds on Selmer Soloist alto and Vandoren tenor.

Although I haven't felt the need to reduce the strength of Legere reeds (I suppose I was lucky to have got the right grade) I found the underside to be less than flat.
This I addressed with careful use of 'flour grade' paper on plate glass. It certainly made the reeds more responsive, which might help you with their playability.

Strangely though I can't get the reed to play well on the alto Link STM.
Odd, innit?

That's when you need to rework/tune them to the m'piece being used.

John :);}

Bari251

An alternative to wet and dry emery paper (I've had some success with this), is to hold the reed in the hottest part of a hair dryer. Then press it onto a sheet of glass to give it a permanent bend. I managed to rescue a Legere baritone reed with this method. Don't sue me if you wreck the reed!
Malcolm

Thierry

Jay Metcalf of BetterSax.com promised a video soon about adjusting Legere reeds with a ReedGeek. Apparently works very well.

Top Bottom