Adhedsives for re-padding and re-corking

thomsax

What kind of adhedsive you are using for re-padding and re-corking?
(shellac, "hot glue", "cold glue" ...)

I'm very orthodox when it comes to this! I use shellac for both pads and corks. I'm asking because I'm going to help a friend to re-pad his Yanagisawa tenor "990-model" (quite new). What kind of adhedsive is Yanagisawa using at the factory?

Thomas

griff136

What kind of adhedsive you are using for re-padding and re-corking?
(shellac, "hot glue", "cold glue" ...)

I'm very orthodox when it comes to this! I use shellac for both pads and corks. I'm asking because I'm going to help a friend to re-pad his Yanagisawa tenor "990-model" (quite new). What kind of adhedsive is Yanagisawa using at the factory?

Thomas
Yanagisawa use shellac to fix the pads in position as for the corks/rubbercork probably a contact adhesive - which is what I and most other repairers use.

jonf

As do many DIY bodgers. I use Evostick, but I think the modern day evostick is not as sticky as it used to be in the old days.
When it used to be made from melted down horses......:shocked:

I use Evostick contact adhesive, although I barely even make it as being as competent as a DIY bodger.

OP
thomsax

thomsax

Shellac and hot glue it is!! I have some Yamaha glue sticks for a glue pistol that should work.

Ithink the reason for new pads and genaral service is lack of care and maintance. I don't think there ever been a swab for vistit in that tube! Some pads are replaced and they are thicker than the original. It' a pity, the sax is a delicate piece of work. So new pads and corks, cleaning and adjusting the the keywork should be enough. But I must admit that the keywork is more complicate comparing to my old Martins.

Thomas

griff136

I want to "adjust" one pad on the Tenor i just bought, where can I buy "shellac" in the UK, I'm looking on-line but all I find is US suppliers
Firstly you may find that the pads on the tenor in question may have been fitted using hot melt glue.

You can get shellac from any decent hardware shop its usually found with the waxes and dyes for french polishing.

I prefer to use the flakes rather than the sticks.

If you just want to adjust a pad then you may be able to do it in situ without having to use any more glue/shellac.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinL

Firstly you may find that the pads on the tenor in question may have been fitted using hot melt glue.

You can get shellac from any decent hardware shop its usually found with the waxes and dyes for french polishing.

I prefer to use the flakes rather than the sticks.

If you just want to adjust a pad then you may be able to do it in situ without having to use any more glue/shellac.
Thanks for that. Yes I will try to do it without any more glue. I have an Industrial hot air gun, used for heat-shrink films and cable shrouds, that should be adequate I hope.

I'll let you know later:)

MartinL

Now don't all shout at once because I've probably just committed the greatest sin, I've successfully "adjusted" the one pad with a slight bend with my pliers. No harm done and it plays OK.

I did say a was going to buy a cheap tenor didn't I.

I got a spare mouthpiece with it and that should fetch back a chunk of the cost for me. Far to good for me, :))) and it's on ebay already. ( item 230402703280 if anyone wants to look)

SYOS
Top Bottom