support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

ABRSM Grade 6 Syllabus Change

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
A cautionary story for teachers and students that has arisen from the general sax syllabus change after next month, March.

For grade 6 alto , as probably for the others, there are changes throughout the set pieces, accompanied in lists A and B and the solo study list C. One of the casualties was Mike Westbrook's jazzy Sonnet which appears in John Harle's album To Baker Street and Bach. Anyone looking to find replacement pieces for the new syllabus might notice, as I did, that List A now has Harle's edition of Rachmaninov's Vocalise (this was in list B before). This also appears in To Baker Street and Bach. It' a lovely piece and on the face of it seemed a good switch to make without having to buy new music.

It's in F# min. and not especially difficult for exam standard, but it does have a number of dynamic and tempo changes. Technically, it has a top F# in a rit. bar at the end, which I could handle, although I was surprised as top F# doesn't feature even at grade 8 in ABRSM and not all alto saxes have a top F# key. However, there is an ossia for that bar written an octave lower.

ABRSM have specimen recordings of each syllabus piece that are downloadable, so I bought that plus some others in their 5 tracks for £2.50 deal. I soon found that Vocalise was being played a whole tone lower, in Emin. I couldn't work out why, nor could my teacher. We asked ASBRSM who said we were looking at the wrong edition and that correct one was a separate "trans. Harle" (whatever trans. meant) where it was in Emin. They were completely unconcerned that there might be confusion with the Harle album that contained it in a different key. So it meant another trip to that nice Mr Myall's shop to buy the different Harle edition which contains just that piece plus accomp. but which of course costs another £5 odd.

Now you could say that both my teacher and I should have looked more carefully at the syllabus, but it's a pretty easy mistake to make when you see two pieces in the same album that seem to both be in the syllabus. The correct Vocalise and the album one are the same piece, Rachmaninov's op34 no14 for alto sax plus piano and both published by Boosey and Hawkes. The correct one in Emin is actually edited by Harle (not "trans.") as opposed to arranged in the To Baker Street and Bach album. Neither give any indication of key for Eb sax on the cover.

If I hadn't downloaded the ABRSM recording we probably wouldn't have realised we'd got a wrong one. I write this up just so that other teachers and students don't make the same mistake. I've now heard of another teacher locally who had done so.

Finally, it's odd that John Harle should have arranged his album version up a tone in F#min in 1985, since the Rachmaninov original score is in concert Emin. At a later date, 2001, Harle then wrote it back down in Emin for Eb flat alto which is the syllabus version.

So, take care!

Useful thank you for taking the trouble to let us know:)

By the time I get around to grades it will probably have changed again.;)

Good luck if you are sitting it.

Jx

Thanks Jeanette. I'm taking my time doing grades and put off taking grade 6 next month as I had too many other things to do in the last couple of months. But of course the syllabus now changes , so I have to do two new pieces. Anyway, I aim to take it in June. Just hope I don't snuff it before I get to 8.
Actualy I play stuff beyond well 6 in a band, but the demands of an exam, playing solo accurately in front of an examiner, are more exacting than the things you can get away with en ensemble!

Actualy I play stuff beyond well 6 in a band, but the demands of an exam, playing solo accurately in front of an examiner, are more exacting than the things you can get away with en ensemble!

That's what has put me off, I can't even play well in front of my tutor, it's that knowing someone is listening so intently, totally unnerves me :)

Jx

YC will probably chip in on this too, Jx de gx. (That's a ham joke.)

Tutor suggests a senior/junior partnerships, why not see if you can find a sax coach, which would be a far less stressful relationship? How do you distinguish between them? Coaches react to YOUR criticism of your performance rather than THEIR'S and help you to set YOUR goals. A fairly easy distinction is whether they ask which of two of your versions of a phrase you've played you prefer, in other words they help you to make your choice, using subtle methods, rather than stating "right" or "wrong". A further clue, no whips or canes on the wall.

YC will probably chip in on this too, Jx de gx. (That's a ham joke.)

Tutor suggests a senior/junior partnerships, why not see if you can find a sax coach, which would be a far less stressful relationship? How do you distinguish between them? Coaches react to YOUR criticism of your performance rather than THEIR'S and help you to set YOUR goals. A fairly easy distinction is whether they ask which of two of your versions of a phrase you've played you prefer, in other words they help you to make your choice, using subtle methods, rather than stating "right" or "wrong". A further clue, no whips or canes on the wall.

Interesting but I think the issue around this lies with me and a lack of confidence in my playing ability :)

Tempted to make a comment re your last sentence but will get my wrists slapped>:)

Jx

Interesting but I think the issue around this lies with me and a lack of confidence in my playing ability :)Jx

Don't you consider that increasing your confidence is part of your tutor's duties?

The first thing every teacher should be taught that destruction of a pupil is easy, keeping them together and looking forward eagerly is what is required. Consider a change for your and your tutor's sakes.

Don't you consider that increasing your confidence is part of your tutor's duties?

The first thing every teacher should be taught that destruction of a pupil is easy, keeping them together and looking forward eagerly is what is required. Consider a change for your and your tutor's sakes.

Interesting thought but surely I will only gain confidence if I'm told and feel I'm doing something well, if I'm not doing well I don't want someone pretending I am or I'll wind up thinking I'm doing ok when actually I may sound awful.

Jx

Interesting thought but surely I will only gain confidence if I'm told and feel I'm doing something well, if I'm not doing well I don't want someone pretending I am or I'll wind up thinking I'm doing ok when actually I may sound awful.Jx

What is well? Does your tutor ever praise you? Each gain is worth praise and it is beginning to sound like you never receive any. Always remember who is paying. Show your tutor this thread or ask the next time you are criticised, do they really believe they are helping you with only negatives? They then have the choice to alter their style, possibly saying "I never knew you felt that way." or will tell you they know best.

Why not try a lesson with another tutor, maybe a comparison would help you to decide. One thing is certain, you play many times better than I do.

The CaSLM Agony Aunt.

What is well? Does your tutor ever praise you? Each gain is worth praise and it is beginning to sound like you never receive any. Always remember who is paying. Show your tutor this thread or ask the next time you are criticised, do they really believe they are helping you with only negatives? They then have the choice to alter their style, possibly saying "I never knew you felt that way." or will tell you they know best..

Funnily enough I did bring up my lack of confidence last lesson, he does throw in the odd word of praise.

Had considered and am still doing so trying someone else as a comparison, problem is I'm hopeless at letting go of stuff never mind people and he isn't an ogre and I did ditch my first tutor in favour of the current one :)

Why not try a lesson with another tutor, maybe a comparison would help you to decide. One thing is certain, you play many times better than I do.

The CaSLM Agony Aunt.

You mean you can hear my playing all the way down there>:) I think you may be mistaking me for Aldevis I'm pretty sure it's him you are hearing.

Thank you, it's an interesting subject and I am sure will apply to more than just me.

Jx

I know what you mean Jeanette, as I have a teacher/tutor who will not let anything inaccurate pass, is pretty blunt in her appraisals but happens to be very good technically. I often think that if I can satisfy her with my playing then I'm going to be OK with an examiner. She says it's the other way round, that examiners are tougher than she is. Actually I believe it's that she has very high standards and aims high for all her students; it shows in her exam results.

As to teaching and learning styles, I think there are issues around learning a skill set (which is what learning an instrument is), where at the earlier stages there are rights and wrongs and interpretive skills do not feature heavily. Also adults learn differently to younger people and they tend not to readily accept a more didactic approach that may suit younger people, when they want to question and discuss issues. I say that as a professional adult trainer. I think some teachers who have younger people as the majority of their students sometimes find the switch to adult learning styles difficult (or they may not be prepared for it at all). However, I don't want to do any dis-service to any teachers/tutors here, but also of course note that there are good and bad ones in any occupation. Finally, none of this means that there are not good ways to praise, encourage and criticise students at whatever age or level.

Some relevant points YC, thank you. My tutor has very high standards so I should know if he ever says I have done something good that I have :)

He teaches adults and children and has done for some years and to a high standard.

I do generally look forward to my lessons so I'll keep going a little longer, at the end of the day you have to find confidence from within and in other areas of my life it's not a problem so in time maybe.

Jx

Jeanette, before I punch YC's head in for using the words like "younger: and "skill sets" and I am not paranoid, he really is out to secure my dominant position in the CaSLM, if the tutor says or implies "That is wrong.", it is destructive..As a fellow adult trainer/coach, my aim was to guide the client, and you are a client, to realise it could be better and then help them to realise how to achieve that. As long as they can be learnt from, there is no such thing as a mistake.

postscriptum:- Except for the charming Mrs YC, YC likes dominant women. >:)>:)>:)

Also YC, remember I won the toss to chat up Jeanette.>:)>:)>:)

Last edited:
Jeanette, before I punch YC's head in for using the words like "younger: and "skill sets" and I am not paranoid, he really is out to secure my dominant position in the CaSLM, if the tutor says or implies "That is wrong.", it is destructive..As a fellow adult trainer/coach, my aim was to guide the client, and you are a client, to realise it could be better and then help them to realise how to achieve that. As long as they can be learnt from, there is no such thing as a mistake.

postscriptum:- Except for the charming Mrs YC, YC likes dominant women. >:)>:)>:)

But if I don't know it's wrong how will I know to correct it?

But actually I know myself it's wrong, I'm really not convinced my tutor is wrong here, no amount of praise will convince me I'm any good when I know I'm not and I then would always doubt any praise in the future.

But you are right when he confirms my suspicion's that I'm wrong it does knock my confidence but what is the poor guy to do. I once asked for marks out of ten on a piece I played and he and I both knew he was far too generous so it didn't achieve anything and they were still low lol.

Jx

It is a difference of technique here. If something is "wrong" and the inverted commas are there to emphasise wrong is wrong, the first thing to ask the client how they feel about it. You said you know when it is wrong, so why tell a client what they already know. If they know, they will also know how they want it to sound and feel and so have goals that can be reached in small steps. It is then that, the call them what you will, help you to achieve what you want in a partnership, not in a senior/junior role, just like you helped your kids once they were past the rote stage, by making the discoveries theirs.

Final words, for the moment. Stop thinking right and wrong, Think. "That is better, now how can I make it sound better still?" and it will be better.

CaSLM agony aunt. The invoice will arrive soon.>:)>:)>:)

Must be the first time I've seen OG put so many serious posts in one week, let alone one thread

Yes, but their not serious, Kev, so they don't count. He's just getting his own back because when I said I'd buy drinks for him and Griff on my birthday, he thought I meant I was going to buy him an expensive bottle of single malt.