All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

About to annoy the neighbours... :)

Scribbler

Hi! Just wanted to say hello and thank forum members for the info and discussions I have already read - I am new to the saxophone, (to the extent that I don't yet own one) but it has been useful to read opinions on here as I prepare to take the plunge...

I have some questions and queries to pose, but will endeavour to do so in the right place...

Scribbler

Thank you, and I do intend to liaise with my neighbours! I was following the advice of being a little bit different in my opening post subject line... :)

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi, and welcome! Any idea about which sax you want to play (sop, alto, tenor, bari)?? What sort of music do you like? We're nosey 'people' here!!

Cheers,

Amanda

Scribbler

Thank you to all for the welcomes.... :)

I intend to tread the popular path of starting with the alto - for financial reasons, as well as liking the sound. I may go onto tenor later though, if I take to it (And I'm aware that a lot of people probably have that aim!)

I like all kinds of music - not really a driving force for wanting to play - I apparently wanted to play the trumpet when I started secondary school, but wasn't allowed to because of the noise... So I'm clearly a frustrated woodwind/brass enthusiast! Just something about the expressive nature of the sax...

I'm hoping to be up and running in the near future, and it may well be useful to have the encouragement and advice of more established players, so thank you for the warm welcomes, one and all!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Scribbler.

Any of us might be your neighbour.

ENJOY!​™

jthole

Thank you, and I do intend to liaise with my neighbours! I was following the advice of being a little bit different in my opening post subject line... :)
Welcome :)

As for the neighbours, I have agreed with them to play only between 11:00 and 20:30. Even with my daytime job, that usually gives me an hour to practice each day.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Scribbler

I am sure you will enjoy your sax journey and you will get lots of help on here:)

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunray

Hey Hey Scribbler ...

Welcome to the Cafe ... :thumb:

I also wanted to play trumpet in my earlier years [much, much earlier] ...

Eddie Calvert was my inspiration ...

I wasn't able to buy even a cheap trumpet cos we were all so poor in those days ... ;}

I couldn't even afford a recorder in those days [1950s] ... :shocked:

Get your Sax soon and have some real fun ... :w00t:

breathless

Hi Scribbler, I have just started to fulfill a life long ambition and started learning to play Tenor sax. I started 5-6 weeks ago, practice every day (sensible hours) however I'm very surprised to find ive recived nothing but positive comments from my neighbours.

Was practising last weekend (when it was hot) had the patio doors open and the next day a friend of my wife and my wife met at the bus stop and she complemented my playing for only 5 weeks in! And just last week one of my other neighbours enquired if it was our house that she could hear a saxophone coming from, after owning up to being guilty she was very sincere when she said she found it quite nice on a sunday afternoon, she added "everyone loves the sound of a sax, don't they?"

So as long as your considerate to time of day ect- you may be surprised by the response!

Of course you could always get someone that just wants to be awkward but hopefully not.

Rgds Lee.

Scribbler

Thanks again for the kind welcomes and sensible advice...

I only have one neighbour at the moment, and they are very easygoing, so as people say as long as I'm considerate to others there shouldn't be any issues. I also have the wardrobe full of clothes and the teatowels on standby just in case... My opening post headline was a bit flippant really, but that's my sense of humour... :)

Hoping to do a little research at my local sax shop after the bank holiday to decide on a horn, and may even be playing before the week is out - a little daunted by the outlay, but you can't take it with you, and I know I can get a decent sound out of a sax after having a little play in the shop a month or so ago. Should be fun!

jazzdoh

Welcome and hope you enjoy your new horn when you get it.
Just remember that although you are spending to get it,that you still have the value in the sax,most saxes don't lose that much providing that you look after them.

Brian

Hi there young scribbler....be carefull in that wardrobe.... you know you have to shut the door of it tight..breathless lees a lucky man and he seems to be getting on brilliant (wee touch of envy there...Sorry Lee)..practice lots of it and a big sense of humour seem vital..as are a good pair of ear defenders...then you can simply ignore the neighbours banging on the walls...another good thing is to be able to laugh at yourself and all the screetching and strange noises youll be making....some maybe even from the saxophone....
theres an awful lot of lovely people (apart from nasty little me )on here and everyone is eager to help you... so have a great adventure....im just starting down the road too
keep smiling
jimmy

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom