support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ableton

Tommy Ng

Locality
South Yorkshire
Hi

Just bought an audio interface and mic. The audio interface comes with Ableton software. The software seems to be very complicated. I have yet to find out how to use it yet. Wonder anyone here has experince using Ableton?? I need help !!

Basically, i have no idea how to import a backing track and do recording :confused:

Anyone can help??

Hi Tommy,

What version of Ableton? Are you on a Mac or a PC? Out of curiosity what interface and mic did you choose?

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Tommy,

Just been digging around in my drawer and found a disk with Ableton Live Lite 6 on it, it came with a Keyboard Controller thing. I've not installed it as I use something else but I'm happy to give it ago and play around with it, if you think to heads are better than one on this.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Tommy,

Just been digging around in my drawer and found a disk with Ableton Live Lite 6 on it, it came with a Keyboard Controller thing. I've not installed it as I use something else but I'm happy to give it ago and play around with it, if you think to heads are better than one on this.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris

Two heads are certainly better than one, please give it a go.

I bought Saffire 6 USB interface and a sEX1 mic. It seems like my PC doesn't read the interface??? Not very sure, need to find out ...

I tried using Audacity and it doesn't read the interface either?!

tom :(

Hi Tommy,

I have to say it wasn't easy or intuitive but I have managed to record something in Ableton. My first attempt had the sax coming in completely out of time with the backing track, and not by a fraction of a second, oh no, it was by seconds so it wasn't latency! There seems to be a strange way of arming the tracks for recording that I've not got my head around. Second attempt was fine but I've no idea what I did differently.

I eventually worked out how to add reverb, there are quite a few presets but I couldn't figure out how to put just the effect on without going though one of the presets, although that's not a real issue at this stage.

Your question was how do you get the backing track into Ableton?

Well if it's on a CD you need to rip the track off with a different program. I'm assuming you are using a PC in which case Windows Media player may well do this for you. If you are wanting to preserve quality see if you can rip the track to a '.wav' file 16bit 44.1kHz. If you are using a Mac put the CD in, open finder click on the CD icon and then drag the track you want onto the desktop. Job done, although this time it will be a .aiff file.

Screen grab of my quick recording session:

Ableton-Live-Summertime-SG.jpg

EDIT: Hi Tommy,

You posted while I was still writing mine out. Let me have a think and I'll get back to you...

Best wishes,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Just bought an audio interface and mic. The audio interface comes with Ableton software. The software seems to be very complicated. I have yet to find out how to use it yet. Wonder anyone here has experince using Ableton?? I need help !!

Basically, i have no idea how to import a backing track and do recording :confused:

Anyone can help??

Hi Tommy,
The audio interface I have is ALesis iO/2 came with Steinberg Cubase LE, I ditched the Cubase and got Samplitude Music Studio 15 from pcworld was half price at the time.: a mic from maplins, this setup works very well on windows vista.:mrcool

Ps Your clip on youtube is very good, nice one Tom:welldone:welldone:welldone

Tommy,

Have you restarted your computer? if not try that, then connect the interface.

Do any lights come on on the interface?

Then got to "Start" "Control Panel" and look for 'Audio set-up' or 'Audio Devices' or 'Sound' or something like that. I'm not using a PC and so stabbing a bit in the dark here, but you should find something in "Control Panel" that relates the the computers audio set up. Click on that and there should be a window with a few tabs, one is probably "Audio In Put" the other is probably "Audio Out Put", click on them and see if your interface shows up in any of the drop down menus.

All the best,

Chris

Tommy,

Have you restarted your computer? if not try that, then connect the interface.

Do any lights come on on the interface?

Then got to "Start" "Control Panel" and look for 'Audio set-up' or 'Audio Devices' or 'Sound' or something like that. I'm not using a PC and so stabbing a bit in the dark here, but you should find something in "Control Panel" that relates the the computers audio set up. Click on that and there should be a window with a few tabs, one is probably "Audio In Put" the other is probably "Audio Out Put", click on them and see if your interface shows up in any of the drop down menus.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for your help. I will try it out later when i get home. I am not good at sorting out PC problems, might need more time to get it sorted.

tom :)

Hi Tommy,
The audio interface I have is ALesis iO/2 came with Steinberg Cubase LE, I ditched the Cubase and got Samplitude Music Studio 15 from pcworld was half price at the time.: a mic from maplins, this setup works very well on windows vista.:mrcool

Ps Your clip on youtube is very good, nice one Tom:welldone:welldone:welldone

Hi Tee
I was going to buy Alesis but the guy in the shop introduced me the Saffire 6 which he claimed to be much better at only about £40 extra. I will try Ableton first and if it doesn't work then i will go get Samplitude Music Studio 15. However, i think some interfaces only work with certain softwares, need to find it out first.

Thank you for the compliment :===)

tom

Hi Tom,
if your pc still cant find the interface, it could be that there is something wrong with the drivers. You could try download and install them from here. The downloads are at the top right of the white part of the page.

Good luck
Rune

Hi Tom,
if your pc still cant find the interface, it could be that there is something wrong with the drivers. You could try download and install them from here. The downloads are at the top right of the white part of the page.

Good luck
Rune

Hi Rune

I have installed the driver, i think i have to do something with the setting up.

cheers