supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Keyboards Abdulla Ibrahim

Nick Cook

I was going to post this in the 'Great Saxophone Players' thread, but as he's not, I'll post it here.

I've noticed a lot of his tunes appearing in the ABSRM exam syllabuses (syllabi??).

EDIT: I've just looked it up - syllabuses and syllabi are both correct!!!

He's appearing at Basingstoke at the end of the month. Has anyone heard him play? Would it be worth going along for a listen?

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Used to hear sme of his stuff on the radio in SA. If you like it, go, but he's not for everyone. Mind you I suppose most musicians are like that.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I was going to post this in the 'Great Saxophone Players' thread, but as he's not, I'll post it here.
Maybe should be in the saxophone playing forum then. I don't know if he's great or not!

Perhaps that forum should just be Saxophone Players, not necessarily great.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Took a quick look at youtube, quite a bit of his stuff there. Also take a look under his former name, Dollar Brand. Should help you make your mind up.

TomMapfumo

You have to go - excellent stuff! I'm off to see the Portico Quartet tonight, so at least I'll be seeing a saxophone player. ;}

When is Grade 4 appearing on the horizon....? I'm currently learning my Grade 5 Trombone pieces - just can't get away from "Nutty" :w00t:

Kind regards
Tom :cool:

Young Col

Nick
A track of his was on BBC3 Jazz Record Requests this evening (available on BBC i-player for a week) . The Perfumed Garden Wet With Rain. Very atmospheric and delightful. It was from 1979 though and as Kev says, his stuff has changed. Alyn Shipton, in his book The New History of Jazz, says Abdullah Ibrahim is a great ambassador for jazz as World Music.

Might have been interested in the Basingstoke gig but it's a bit distant from here for an evening, although I do have friends who live there and I can recommend The Fox at North Walsham for its food and beer!
Colin

Young Col

Just back from seeing Abdullah Ebrahim and Ekaya at Basingstoke Anvil theatre. What a cracking evening! Front line of three saxes and trombone. A straight two hour set. Soft bluesy numbers like Blues for a Hip King had gospel and New Orleans funeral feeling but some African harmonies and much Ellington style voicing and piano - just beautiful. Up tempo numbers and blues tinged ones had the place jumping. My friend OG would have liked the alto player's doubling on flute. A great evening and well recommended. Thanks for mentioning it all.

A person very like that nice Mr Thomas in the audience - closer to his home than mine. Was it?
Afterwards a friend with us asked if I had learnt anything about sax playing. I replied, yes, that I was not very good.
Colin

OP
Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Glad you enjoyed it Colin. I mentioned it to my teacher last night, and she said it would have been good. If it had been a bit cheaper I would have gone.

Top Bottom