support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A Wife's View of GAS....

dooce

Locality
Daventry
.....or indeed, that of any other opposite, or same-sex partner.

Having bought a new alto mouthpiece a few weeks ago, I announced that I was now getting dissatisfied with my tenor sound and was considering a trip to Bradford to possibly enhance my collection of hardware (currently running at 5 tenor mouthpieces - or it might be 6. Or 7), only to be met with total bewilderment from Elaine, who asked the not unreasonable question - why can't you just buy the right one and get on with it?

Not wishing to spend the night in the shed, I resisted reminding her of the huge box of mail-order clothes that had arrived last week, only for the whole lot to be bundled up and returned 2 days later (they didn't look like they did in the catalogue - dear God, does anything?)

Anyway - why can't we just buy the right one and get on with it?

Discuss.

Discuss.

Cos there's no fun in that and we would have nothing to discuss on the forum;}

Jx

Hi Bill,
Sue says enough's enough, and from now on it's one in one out. Can't bear to part with any of my instruments so if I buy any more it's one in Sue out.
If you can wait until the Christmas holidays I've got a couple of weeks off work if you want company, then if I buy anything I can say a big boy made me do it.

Andy

I had a similar discusion about putting a radiator in the garage. Swung the debate by parking the bike in the lounge. Currently divorced , again . lol

Not wishing to spend the night in the shed, I resisted reminding her of the huge box of mail-order clothes that had arrived last week, only for the whole lot to be bundled up and returned 2 days later (they didn't look like they did in the catalogue - dear God, does anything?)

Difference is that they send back the ones they don't like, while we hang on to mouthpieces hoping it'll work for us one day, maybe suit that new sax we haven't bought yet, but would like....

...Being of an organic nature each reed is different, as true artisans we appreciate this and over time accumulate a number of slings, ligatures, mouthpieces and saxophones to accommodate the different reeds we find in each box. A box of ten reeds will quite often provide ten reeds all requiring a different set up. I don't think this is unreasonable, however for those that choose to venture down the road of synthetic reeds with their 'regularity' of form and 'consistency' of strength, you on the other hand need only the one ligature, and mouthpiece... Bliss.

There is also good economic sense in this, reeds have increased in price tremendously in a very short time, and without a suitable mouthpiece to play every reed in the box you are in effect throwing away good money.

The market for second hand and 'only road tested' reeds never really took off, once the packet has been opened the value of the reed plummets to mere pence. In comparison, a mouthpiece bought today will retain a reasonable percentage of it's initial value, and there is always the possibility that you hold a mouthpiece that in 40 years time will be considered highly desirable.

The argument could of course be extended by saying the above only caters for one 'tonality', but as musicians it is often highly desirable for us to be able to blend and adapt our tone to accommodate the setting, style and group we are playing with. it would not be unreasonable for you to need to play a soft breathy ballad one day, a bright aggressive rock the next, or possibly a touch of classical. Needless to say, each one of these will require a different reed, and I'm not saying from the same box. We are fully aware of the 'Classical' reeds and how their tone differs hugely from the 'Jazz' reeds in all their various flavoures. It therefore logically follows, for each style you play, you will need a different 'type' of reed, these reeds come in boxes, each box will contain a number of 'different' reeds all requiring their own unique set-up...

Without being excessive, I think anyone could genuinely argue the need for 40-50 sax/mouthpiece/ligature setups.

The above conclusion is quoted from the 'Reed and Mouthpiece Journal 2012' anyone else get their copy in the post today? I was rather interested in the article on page 276 about the adaptation of the steadicam as a saxophone support system.

best wishes,

Chris

The above conclusion is quoted from the 'Reed and Mouthpiece Journal 2012' anyone else get their copy in the post today? I was rather interested in the article on page 276 about the adaptation of the steadicam as a saxophone support system.

best wishes,

Chris

Sounds as if you're quoting Navarro >:)

Having bought a new alto mouthpiece a few weeks ago, I announced that I was now getting dissatisfied with my tenor sound and was considering a trip to Bradford to possibly enhance my collection of hardware (currently running at 5 tenor mouthpieces - or it might be 6. Or 7), only to be met with total bewilderment from Elaine, who asked the not unreasonable question - why can't you just buy the right one and get on with it?

Discuss.
Yes Dooce an interesting observation on your part. Will one ever understand the vagaries of the female mind.

I remember well the amusing little incident attributed to Art Pepper`s lady wife Laurie, many years ago, who intent on purchasing a mouthpiece, for his (Art`s.) birthday, from Dr Ricks Village sax and flute shop (N.Y.C.) When presented with the assortment of metal/ebonite etc., then asked " Are these the only colors you do them in? " Regds. Bewitched bothered and bewildered am I. N.

I had a similar discusion about putting a radiator in the garage. Swung the debate by parking the bike in the lounge. Currently divorced , again . lol

A good friend of mine has a Bandit 600 engine in the kitchen. He wonders why he never gets any passion.....

Discuss.

Me and the Mrs F have a really good understanding. I don't say anything about all the shoes and clothes. She doesn't say anything about all the music stuff. Result = equilibrium in the F household.

A bit off topic, but my wife just spent a grand on a bicycle. Does this mean I can buy another sax?

I happened to muse aloud about possibly buying another sax and Senior Management wanted to know why when I'd got one already. Reasonable enough, you might think, but coming from someone who has five dogs........

To digress slightly, herself had a cousin, now sadly deceased, who was the envy of the the local biking fraternity because of his collection of pre-war Vincents. Someone broke into his garage and nicked, of all things, the moped he went to work on. Being, probably understandably, unmarried, he took five motor-bikes into the house. His brother, having the unenviable task of clearing the house following his death, was a little surprised that he had removed the rear wheel from the one in the back living room so that he could see the telly.

The brother, by the way, had something like a dozen flat twins (the bikers amongst you will know of what I speak) all in running order, so GAS is something I seem to have married into.

Dave

A bit off topic, but my wife just spent a grand on a bicycle. Does this mean I can buy another sax?

Don't forget a mouthpiece for the new sax as well>:):)))

Chris...

There are too many "right" mouthpieces just to buy one................:shocked::w00t:;}

Tom you are right,there are too many right mpc's and more and more coming on the market all the time.

Thing is what with vintage mpc's and high end new pieces costing a small fortune its getting expensive to pick the wrong mouthpiece.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom