All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

A Top Tip on what not to do

Dave McLaughlin

Sesquipedalian
Subscriber
Last week my teacher asked me to go away and learn the head to "All of You" from "The Bb Real Book" (on tenor). I've found this quite a good challenge because I have to work quite hard to hit the low notes and there are a few of them in there.

Last night I found the low notes particularly difficult, but I struggled through the piece a few times. Tonight I found out why. So my Top Tip is, if you aren't finding life challenging enough, try playing tenor sax with an alto reed!

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Two Saturdays ago, I was struggling to play sax in the beginners' orchestra I play in first thing on SAturday mornings. I was really struggling to get it to speak. About halfway through the rehearsal, the horn player to my side said: "What's that in the bell?" That woudl be the pull-through and yellow duster... For some reason it played more readily without these additions.

What

Today I was practicing having a heck of a time. I could not hit any notes lower than G no matter what. I looked at the position of the mpc, I checked the edge of the reed it matched up to the edge right, the ligature was tight. I was just about to conduct a leak check then I noticed my problem. I had tossed an alto reed on a mpc to test out one of the odd reed/mpc combos I had read about somewhere the other night and had grabbed that mpc instead of my normal one.

Young Col

Same problem, but a different, non-musical, context. We had our gas and electricity meters changed, free of charge, by British Gas for their smart metering system earlier this week. This meant the services being turned off for about 20 mins while they did the change over. Afterwards the gas boiler wouldn't light. I made several trips upstairs to check the programmer had reset its time and the heating/hot water sequencing. Eventually coming downstairs and hearing the boiler ignite, the technician emerged from the meter cupboard and sheepishly announced that it usually helps if he turns the gas back on.

Rock Lobster

Dave,

Sorry for being thick but i have not heard the term before. Can i ask what you mean by the head of "All of You". Is it something like the first 16 bars?

Like i said, sorry for being thick if this is really obvious.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Same problem, but a different, non-musical, context. We had our gas and electricity meters changed, free of charge, by British Gas for their smart metering system earlier this week. This meant the services being turned off for about 20 mins while they did the change over. Afterwards the gas boiler wouldn't light. I made several trips upstairs to check the programmer had reset its time and the heating/hot water sequencing. Eventually coming downstairs and hearing the boiler ignite, the technician emerged from the meter cupboard and sheepishly announced that it usually helps if he turns the gas back on.
Had a similar one years ago when I was a teenager - my father had a new meter to cope with the central heating. Once the heating was installed, it hardly worked and the gas fire almost went out every time the boiler cut in. Called the boiler people back, they blamed the meter. Gas Board said no way, it's big enough and round and round it went. Eventually my Dad got the gas board and the heating contractor out at the same time and the gas board agreed it was the meter and sent a new bigger one (can't be faulty, it's brand new, they said...). Installer came to install it, took the old meter out - and found that the previous installer had left rubber bungs in the inlet/outlet to the meter. These had a small hole in them to allow for air/pressure changes and were allowing just enough gas through to let the fire work, but no more. He put the new meter in anway, and ir worked a treat. They never got round to collecting the 'old' one, it was still sitting in the garage waiting to be collected when we moved out a few years later, brand new, barely used.

Dave McLaughlin

Sesquipedalian
Subscriber
Dave,

Sorry for being thick but i have not heard the term before. Can i ask what you mean by the head of "All of You".
In a jazz context, the head is the written tune. Usually, the band will play it more or less as written, sometimes twice, then some of them will take solos, before they all come together to repeat the head at the end.

Colin the Bear

Uh Oh! "Back to the head at the end" doesn't mean playing in the toilets?

Another invite back I won't be getting

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom