All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

A superior bowl of Chili....

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Here's another one- perfected over many many years of culinary tinkering...

steak- cubed
garlic
fresh red or green chillies
chipotle (smoked jalapenos...)
red onions
red peppers
good quality mince
tinned tomatoes
tomato puree
pinto beans
red wine
bourbon whiskey
cumin
a bunch of fresh coriander
star anise
cumin seeds
red wine
a lime

marinade steak cubes in bourbon, crushed garlic and fresh chillies overnight.
In a solid bottomed pot fry off some red onions, some fresh chillies, garlic & red peppers. Add some good quality mince, and the steak, plus a couple of broken up chipotle (smoked chillies) fry up and sweat everything down for about ten minutes. Add tinned tomatoes (and a squirt of tomato puree), beans- preferably pinto, not red kidney- most of a bunch of coarsely chopped coriander (including the stems), a good pinch of cumin, salt & pepper. A glug of red wine helps too (or the juice of a lime- but not both)!
Cook for about an hour & a half. Now the secret bit- grind down some cumin seeds and a couple of star anise in a pestle and mortar, blend with a knob of butter, a clove of garlic and a finely chopped chilli. Just before serving- blend in the finishing butter together with a handful of coriander leaves.....
Et voila- a multi layered taste sensation with considerably more harmonics than your average chilli...>:)

jonf

. A glug of red wine helps too
Is that in the food or the cook?

Looks amazing - I've done some of the stuff in your recipe with a chilli, but never combining steak and mince.

Incidentally, I reckon either skirt or feather steak (if you can get either) are the best for a chilli.

I think I'll try this one tonight.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Looks great. Will try that (but probably without the beans, my wife is Texan)

saxismyaxe

Honored SOTW Ambassador
I just knew that you would chime in on this Pete, keeping in mind that your wife is a fellow Texan.

As you mentioned, we just don't do the whole bean thing with our chili in the Lone Star.;}

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
what about the chocolate?
the darkest chocolate you can find, added at the last minute, allowed to melt and be stirred in.
just a square per person.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
what about the chocolate?
the darkest chocolate you can find, added at the last minute, allowed to melt and be stirred in.
just a square per person.
tried that approach but it didn't seem to sit comfortalby with the spice blend I was using... I seem to remember that the star anise and cumin felt like they were clashing a bit ....

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Real men smoke their own.
OK, as a real man I'll try and rise to the occasion. Just need to find some real red Jalapenos... For some reason there's very little hot food in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
OK, as a real man I'll try and rise to the occasion. Just need to find some real Jalapenos...
I think that's the issue, I'm sure you can't just bung some Old El Paso pickled jalapenos in your bong and expect chipotle. Carlos Castaneda notwithstanding. (Joke for old hippies, but a very good one so don't bother).

I tried growing chillies Once, and ended up with very small pointy mild red peppers. Must try again in the greenhouse.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I think that's the issue, I'm sure you can't just bung some Old El Paso pickled jalapenos in your bong and expect chipotle. Carlos Castaneda notwithstanding. (Joke for old hippies, but a very good one so don't bother).
This old hippy gets it. But it's a bloody long while since I read any Castaneda.

I tried growing chillies Once, and ended up with very small pointy mild red peppers. Must try again in the greenhouse.
They're dead easy. I can recommend Scotch Bonnets if you like a bit of fire.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I used to grow my own when I lived in South Africa. Lethal.... Once made the mistake of cleanign my contact lenses after picking them. When I finally got my eyes open enough to get the things out, the eyeballs were crazed with blood vessels, standing proud like the veins on a body builder. Not nice.

Chilli's hybridise very readily with all capsicums, so growing from seeds harvested from chillies may not give the desired results, as they may have been pollinated by a different variety grown close by. That said, mine were grown that way and a friend here grows the same lethal variety in a pot. Seeds are only viable for one season. Chillis are a little tricky to get right, but you should do well in a greenhouse. Don't overwater. Full sun. The bushes are perennial, but some people believe they should be treated as annuals and replanted each year. Mine did well as a perennial and were able to take the very mild frosts we got in winter.

VirusKiller

Once made the mistake of cleanign my contact lenses after picking them. When I finally got my eyes open enough to get the things out, the eyeballs were crazed with blood vessels, standing proud like the veins on a body builder. Not nice.
I did that once. Will never do it again! You're not kidding about the difficulty in getting the damn things out of your eyes...

dooce

Very good! Couldn't quite bring myself to marinade the steak in bourbon, but did slosh a bit of Famous Grouse over it, tracked down some chipotle paste and star anise (Daventry is an absolute gourmet backwater...) and Mrs. Dooce pronounced it a winner - she's so hard to please........

;}

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom