All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

A Step back in time!

Taz

Busking Oracle
'Twas November 2010, when I released the sad news (to me anyway,) that I had parted company with Johnny and the Zephyrs
Guess who had a phone call from out of the blue?
Can you guess who it was from? And can you guess what they wanted? I bet you can guess my answer too!

Yippee, I'm now a Zephyr once again! My first gig back is this Saturday, no time for rehearsal so lets hope that I can remember all my parts!

Has anyone else gone back to a band that you'd played with before and how did you get on, what problems, if any, arose?
I've already spoken to the chap I fell out with and I think things will be better this time so fingers crossed!
Wish me luck!

BUMNOTE

Hi Taz,pleased for you,good luck for satday you will be fine,aint it great too be wanted:thumb:.Bumnote.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Great news Pete. It's good to get negative issues sorted out, even if it takes 2 years to do it.
Blow their socks off and have a great time

Andy

Young Col

Good luck, Taz. I always thought that was a great name for a band and I've missed seeing them mentioned!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Great news and it will go better this time or the CaSLM will deal with your rival foc. Just let him know.

Saxade

Yippee, I'm now a Zephyr once again! My first gig back is this Saturday, no time for rehearsal so lets hope that I can remember all my parts!
All the luck in the world to you mate....:thumb: "Blow" their socks off ;}

dooce

I wonder if those hunt-ball ladies will remember what you used to do with your horn? I would love to come and see you but I'm depping for some bloke who got a better gig with an old rock and roll band he used to play with.......

Good luck to you Pete (and to me!)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Good luck and have fun: while on stage forget personal issues and enjoy some good old R&R.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
As Todd Rundgren would say "♪♫ Time heals..♪♫". Break a leg and enjoy!

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Blow 'em away. Enjoy yourself. (I can't say that without sining in my head the Louis Prima version of this song.)

Taz

Busking Oracle
Well what a fantastic welcome back! We had a great night, I was on my knees on a packed dance floor from the first bars of Johnny B Goode! We rocked and the crowd rolled. The first half went really well and I managed to remember all the sax relevant bits, such as Shake Rattle and roll and Sea Cruise.

Then came the second half. I was jumping on the piano and feeling right at home, then three quarters of the way through the set, I blew and NOTHING happened and I mean NOTHING! No note, no squeak, Nothing! It was like the reed was made of steel! My first thoughts were that the reed had gone, it looked ok but I've been deceived by that before. It was here that things really started to go wrong! I had left my reeds in my case and not close by like I normally do. My case was behind the drummer and beside the PA.

Ok I thought I can get there no problem. Well I managed to get beside the drummer and I could just reach my case, but only with my finger tips. I lifted it up and was just moving it towards me when disaster struck! I could feel the case slipping from my grasp, just one more second, but no. It slipped and I watched it fall. Not far, it was no great height. I mean my case was not going to be damaged, it was just that it was directly above a plug. Not just any plug, but one of those special ones with the buttons on, you know the ones, "press the button to test" You press the button and it KILLS the electricity? What I didn't realize, was exactly what that plug was powering until my sax case hit it, I mean what are the chances?

All of a sudden, all I could hear was the double base and the drums! Yup, I'd turned off the PA! Trouble is I didn't actually realize what I'd done, not immediately. It was only when I looked up and the rest of the band were glaring at me, did the realization actually sink in.........

Well I managed to turn the power back on and all was good, except for my sax! So I changed the reed for a new one and...... NOTHING! I was starting to panic. I tried again and it played fine, all the notes sounding crisp and clear so I returned to my spot, put my sax to my lips and........NOTHING!

At this point Johnny was looking at me as if to say.....something rude! As I couldn't see the sax properly in the light on the dance floor, I quickly disappeared out of the front of the building to find a better light. I checked springs and pads and everything seemed to be where it should be and doing what it should, but still my sax wouldn't play. The air was flowing but the beast was dead!

I decided that the show would have to go on, and, as most of the dancers were well on their way to that merry place drinkers go, none of them would notice if I was miming or not! I ran back inside, joined the rest of the band and made it look like I was the best sax player in the building (hang on a minute, I was the only sax player in the building)

So there I was, rockin' and rollin my little socks off when I suddenly had a thought. Inside my Runyon Quantum, is a little thing called a spoiler, I wonder..... I loosened the lig and slipped the reed off, and low and behold, the spoiler had moved!!!!!!!!! A quick click later and I was back in business!

The morel of this story........ Triangle players are just as sexy as sax player! I join my new band on Thursday (Just kidding)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
So there I was, rockin' and rollin my little socks off when I suddenly had a thought. Inside my Runyon Quantum, is a little thing called a spoiler, I wonder..... I loosened the lig and slipped the reed off, and low and behold, the spoiler had moved!!!!!!!!! A quick click later and I was back in business!
As Henry ford Said: If something is not there will not go wrong (or something similar).

I love your reports from gigs. Your wit in finding the funny bit of every experience is remarkable.
Thank a lot for making me laugh.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom