support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds a softer approach? whats your view?

Locality
Southend-on-sea, Essex UK
Hi everyone. New member from essex uk. Been playing 20yrs. Always had ebonite mp on tenor with 2-1/2 or higher reeds. Recently treated myself to an otto link metal new york with a 7 lay and although i love it i wasnt getting on too well until i found a jazz zz grade 2. Now it really sings and everything is controllable and achievable. I play a blue label B&S tenor. Do you think i have done the right thing and should stick with the 2's? Its the first time ive used softer reeds on jazz. Just wondering what you think. Many thanks paul (ollie)

Just experiment until you find the right mix.......and welcome

As well as the tip opening, the curve and length of the lay affect how free blowing or resistant a mouthpiece will be. So that will influence which reed strength. So when it works for you that's what is important, not what somebody else thinks. But you could experiment with different reeds. Rico Jazz Select work great for me on a Tenor.

Welcome to the forum.

Whatever works for you is whats right,it doesn't matter what the number is on the reed,some Links are resistant and some are free blowing due to a number of factors as James has covered in his post above.

I play B&S horns,2001 series on tenor and i have a blue label alto although the alto is one of my backup horns,they are very good saxes.

wow now I know someone else with one! mine is around 1970 (serial 3451) and plays really well. compared to the Trevor James horn I had before its way better, the upper register is really good and with the 2 reed I am trying means i can get around the whole hoen really easily. Local music shop didnt think much of it and basically said it was rubbish.

wow now I know someone else with one! mine is around 1970 (serial 3451) and plays really well. compared to the Trevor James horn I had before its way better, the upper register is really good and with the 2 reed I am trying means i can get around the whole hoen really easily. Local music shop didnt think much of it and basically said it was rubbish.

Wouldn't worry what they say just play it,they are very underrated horns,my 2001 series is the best tenor i have owned and i have owned a few of the bigger named tenors over the years.

Hi Paul, welcome to the cafe. Stick with the new set up, it sounds like a marriage made in Heaven.

Jim.

Well i'm very glad to meet you all and thanks for your comments. Where I live in Southend we just have a student only type music shop who have new Yamaha's and basic student only reeds. Fortunately a 40 min drive gets me to 'Eastcoastwind' where I can buy some of the more desirable reeds so that's my plan now - try out some better reeds in 2's and see how it goes.

Welcome

I use Rico Orange Box 3.5 which I shave down to my preference. Takes less than 5 mins to do . Once you customise your reeds all your reed problems disappear. simples. There are you tube videos that show the techniques .

That may be a good idea. I have flattened the backs of reeds when you sometimes find they are not flat but not tried reducing down the other side. May give it a go. I have around 10 unplayed 2-1/2's so it would certainly save me £'sss.
Thanks.

Welcome to the Café Ollie :)

Howarths of London will sell you individual reeds by mail order if you want to experiment

Jx

Thanks jeanette. Since i posted this morning i took everyones advice and have been all day working things out. I found a green java 2 and that is even better than the zz jazz. I found the jazz zz plays straight out the box but the java after becoming wet and saturated is better.i will contact you soon to make a purchase. Thanks.

Thanks jeanette. Since i posted this morning i took everyones advice and have been all day working things out. I found a green java 2 and that is even better than the zz jazz. I found the jazz zz plays straight out the box but the java after becoming wet and saturated is better.i will contact you soon to make a purchase. Thanks.

I'm not connected to Howarths :)

Jx

Last edited:
I've tended towards softer reeds for a long time. I've been playing for 33 years, and for the last decade I've used Rico Jazz Select 2 soft or 2 medium. This is on an Otto Link 10 with a custom baffle. For me, the wide open mouthpiece and soft reed combo works best. Other opinions are available.

I've tended towards softer reeds for a long time. I've been playing for 33 years, and for the last decade I've used Rico Jazz Select 2 soft or 2 medium. This is on an Otto Link 10 with a custom baffle. For me, the wide open mouthpiece and soft reed combo works best. Other opinions are available.
Thanks jonf. I am pleased to hear about other experienced players like yourself using softer reeds . There is this thought train out there that soft reeds are for beginners and that is obviously incorrect.

You'e not a real saxophonist till you can play a rico 7 on a 15 link metal. Isn't that the way it goes? Whatever works is right. It's the sound that's important not the numbers on your kit. I go down a half strength for recording close up to the mic and go up half a strength for outside and loud bands.

You'e not a real saxophonist till you can play a rico 7 on a 15 link metal. Isn't that the way it goes? Whatever works is right. It's the sound that's important not the numbers on your kit. I go down a half strength for recording close up to the mic and go up half a strength for outside and loud bands.
Thats it yes also iron lungs!!! Well i have certainly learned a thing or two today mostly just by joining cafesaxophone

Thats it yes also iron lungs!!! Well i have certainly learned a thing or two today mostly just by joining cafesaxophone
As everybody else said - play what works for you.

I waved at you today - did you notice?

(From the top of Minster cliffs)